Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you guys think of graphite necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, May 30, 2003.

1. I've been wondering what people think about graphite necks, I've played the graphite reinforced necks that Fender has on its basses and thought they were really nice but haven't played any other brands that use graphite necks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    graphite and graphite reenforced are two different things. You weren't very clear on what you were referring to. Graphite reenforcement is AWESOME. Makes a great difference for setups and neck stability. Complete Graphite necks are the ultimate in stability. Not very "organic" sounding, but very awesome. Like modulus basses, very growly and punchy. Graphite doesn't respond to moisture, so they are better for varied environments.

3. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    What could possibly sound more organic than Carbon? :)

4. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Both of my basses have graphite necks. The fundamental brightness that graphite-necked basses produce is what I like the most about them. I have yet to find a bass I like as much as ones with graphite necks.

And yes...I have played a Sadowsky!!

;)

5. I'd like graphite necks more if they weren't so damned thin.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, modulus Q5's aren't that thin, they fell quite alright. as far as I can remember from the spalted top Q5 i trid a while back.

7. *sigh*

Q5s are pansy necks. It's sad when a neck that tiny is considered to not be "that thin."

The neck on my FBB is somewhere between a '70s Precision and a double bass, just for reference.

I will never understand the thin neck trend. Is it that people have smaller hands, or that they think a thinner neck will let them play faster?

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, i really like warwick 5's. The 6's are a bit much, but the 5's are great.

9. Yeah, I'm a fan of Warwick 5-string necks. I've never played a Warwick 6.

I dislike Warwick 4-string necks. They feel like broom handles--bulky in all the wrong places.

EDIT: Say, are you a student at UIUC? My brother did his undergrad there (along with 1/3 of my high school's graduating class every year) and I took a class there one summer.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Do you wrap your thumb around the neck?

11. Hell no!

FWIW, I have a physiological need for a thick neck--the base joints of my thumbs are double-jointed and tend to want to pop out if I compress my thumb and forefinger too much for too long. This can get extremely painful, as I found from playing on a skinny-necked Dean for a year and a half.

12. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    My main bass is a late 80's koa Kawai with a graphite neck. It is no pansy neck ;), in fact it is a bit chunkier than the necks on my Jazz basses. Aside from the obvious stability, this bass really sings. I put a lot of that down to the neck. The bass has a very clear and vibrant tone. The neck is smooth and quick while still feeling substantial.

If you travel at all with the bass, graphite is also a dream. It is impervious to climate changes and requires approximately zero maintenance beyond regular cleaning.

13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

One of the funniest responces I've ever read! Without carbon, there is no organic anything.

As said before, graphite necks are much more stable in changing environments. If you do a bunch of outdoor gigs or have to deal with extremes in temp/ humidity, then I'd try it. You said you've only tried the Fender necks. Don't buy anything untill you've tried the Modulus and Zon basses. Being in NY, you should have a few high end bass stores near you.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...well, as we all know, Pete is the arbiter of all that is right and true about bass guitar neck size and shape...

;)

:D

Even within "graphite" neckdom (which is a misnomer, the correct term would be composite neck, as no neck is entirely graphite, it will have a good deal of other materials in it), there are great variations in tone. The over-all characteristics will be great stability (not invincible though!) and evenness of volume & tone across & up the neck. However, there is a good bit of difference in the tone of the different manufacturers necks - a Zon sounds nothing like a Modulus which sounds nothing like a Status which sounds nothing like a Moses...

...try several out, decide which is right for you, if any at all are.

FWIW, my main victim is a Zon Sonus Special 5 fretless. Very "woody" sounding for a "artificial" material neck, but still fairly aggressive in tone at the same time. (It's also nice and thin, Peter :p ;) )

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Zzzzzzzzzzon, perhaps?

;)

:D

16. I'd get a Curbow. Rockwood is awesome. All the benefits of composite without the cold, sticky feel. Either that, or get a Zon with the satin finish option.

17. :smug: :smug: :smug:

I love the sound of both Moduli and Zons--I think I prefer Zons, but I've never heard a Bart-equipped Modulus so I can't be sure--but man, those necks piss me off.

Of course, if I had hands that were both small enough and sufficiently physiologically correct, I might have picked up a graphite-necked bass instead of finding out about FBB, and I'm much happier with a custom bass than I would have been with something I pulled off a store rack.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    NO!!

:mad:

...let's not drag that topic up here from OT, hm?

;)

19. Cool--somebody else who's familiar with those! I had a Kawai just like that before I got serious about the graphite thing and got a Steinberger L2 ;). Looking back, the Kawai was a pretty great bass.

Curbows are still my favorite composite neck, though.

Mike