1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you guys think of Jason William Walton of Agalloch?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pfr_77, Jan 4, 2012.

1. pfr_77

pfr_77

Jan 4, 2012
    I'm a pretty big Agalloch fan but his playing has never particularly stood out to me. I don't play bass and my favorite listening is more geared towards the stylings of Phil Lesh and Jack Casady.

What would you consider his playing style? What would you say about all the questions I could ask right now but am too tired to think up that would have interesting answers? Any sort of insight. Is he just average? Is there even enough to his playing for people to go in depth talking about? Anything you want to say about it go ahead because I love reading about that sort of thing.

2. Odal

Odal

Aug 14, 2011
    I love Agalloch! As for Jason, I feel like his bass lines aren't really too flashy, but are a definite necessity for the bands music. Songs like Odal, She Painted Fire Across The Skyline, and Not Unlike The Waves are good examples. You can hear his bass a lot more if you listen with headphones. Skill wise, he is fairly average. However I'm very biased toward Agalloch so I think he is fantastic!

3. He plays the right notes at the right times and perfectly supports the music I think hes a pretty good player. Technical ability he never really does anything crazy but his playing is really mature with his note choices. I like him and hes a perfect fit for a band with a dense sound like Agalloch.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I dig the upright on "..And the great cold death of the earth". Is that band, and his "Especially Likely Sloth" still around?

5. pfr_77

pfr_77

Jan 4, 2012
    Oh wow, I never knew this got any replies! Yeah, that seems like a fair assessment. I've been listening to agalloch quite a bit again lately and his parts seem to be jumping out at me more. Some of them are actually quite surprising but I can never remember them. Most of them are from Pale Folklore.

Not as far as I know, but he has been working on his own project for a few years now called Self Spiller. The album should be coming out sometime soon... I don't know if it's just because I'm not signed into facebook or not but that page is all wonky so I can't really tell but there should be a couple of songs to listen to and it looks like the packaging/artwork is done so it should be out extra soon!