1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what do you guys think of Michael Kelly basses? I wanna get this bass so bad.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 7, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    I wanna get this bass so bad, what do you guys think? :bassist:

The bass i want to get is a 5 string acoustic fretless michael kelly Bass guitar.

It got a good review from bass player magizine, which you can read by clicking the link below.

Click here for details, and PLEASE tell me what you think!
    http://michaelkellyguitars.com/acousticbasses/dragonflyfretless/

2. I played one for about an hour a couple weeks ago. The flashy inlay first attracted my attention and disguised the fact that it was fretless. I don't know why that didn't occur to me, but I played it for about 5 minutes before I realized that the G string had an intonation problem. Then I realized that I was the intonation problem! I thought it was a great instrument for the money. It doesn't have the tone or volume of the Tacoma that I really want, but it is half the price. Should I buy it, or should I continue to save for the Tacoma? I could probably play it for a long time and be perfectly happy. How about you?

3. Yeah, I have seen those before. I really want to play one, but I am afraid that if I do I will want to buy one, and I can't afford one right now anyway :p

4. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    dude i was also thinking about either getting a MK or a tacoma, and i decided that i would rather buy a MK, i mean they look alot cooler than any tacoma, and they are prolly almost just as good as tacomas, but cheaper.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Sexy.:p

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's too pimped out for my tastes.

7. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    Does the inlay have any effect on tone when you play over it?

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Michael Kellys are decent basses for the price, if a tad 'pimp' for my tastes.

The Tacomas are much louder unamplified than the MKs, and speak with more authority on the low end when amplified too.

Why isn't this in Basses?

9. I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count! :D

10. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    :confused: Would a fretted acoustic bass be louder than a fretless acoustic bass? :confused:

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I had the same dilemma. Played a MK and a Tacoma. Liked the MK Solid AB (WAYYYY better than the laminated Dragonfly model in terms of volume and tone, which I also played, and quickly ruled out), but LOVED the Tacoma. The Tacoma just had a much fuller, richer tone unplugged. Also, the fretboard on the Tacoma was much smoother and better finished than the Kelly, which had some rough spots on the frets. Maybe it was just bad luck in which one I played, but I finally decided I'd wait, and get the Tacoma. I didn't want to get the Kelly and spend my time wishing I'd held out for the Tacoma. That being said, the MK Solid AB is a great deal. I personally wouldn't buy the Dragonfly model, though the solid-topped Dragonfly Rose model is another thing entirely. Having a solid top makes all the difference in the tone, IMO.

Two days ago, my wife told me she'd ordered the 5-string Tacoma Thunderchief for Father's Day. :D :D :D Yeah, my wife rocks. :hyper: :)

Unfortunately, it's backordered, and won't be here until July, AFTER I get back from my vacation (when I could have played it all I wanted). :bawl:

As for fretted vs. fretless, I think the fretted does have a brighter tone, which may give it a little more volume unplugged, but they're really two different things entirely. The fretless ABG I played was had a nice warm tone, but I'm not a fretless guy.

12. Man I feel you! I was laid off last September and was given a nice severance package. I went out and spent some money on a Stambaugh custom. I went 7 months unemployed and now I am working again. Still waiting for the bass! I could have spent a lot of time playing that bass but now it's going to be weekends only again. :crying:

Just to stay on topic, I played a tacoma fretless some weeks ago and loved it. I want to play an MK as well but I think the tacoma would be my choice. Great sound and feel!

13. don't expect much from the low b if you're thinking bout a 5er

14. I would get the five just so I have some place besides the top to rest my thumb on!

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sure, the low B's a little weak on any unplugged ABG. It's a simple matter of physics, since the body can only comfortably be made so big. However, you can play up the neck on a 5-string ABG with decent results, and I'm makin' the change over to 5ers! :D

FWTW, the low B on the 35" scale Godin A5 (plugged in) is pretty sweet!!! I loved the tone, and it was insanely comfortable to play due to the Jazz bass style neck, but I had to reject it since I'm getting the Tacoma almost exclusively for unplugged "foolin' around at home." Plugged in, I liked the tone of the Godin even more than the Tacoma. Unplugged, it barely had more volume than a regular electric bass. :(

16. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area

I can pretty much echo that.

I had a MK D-fly fretless 5 for a bit. It was rather quiet acoustically and was inconsistant when plugged in.

I picked up a tacoma in a store last week, that thing friggin PROJECTS acoustically, I can only imagine how it sounds plugged in. It was only a fretted 4. If I get another acoustic, it's going to be a 5 fretless again though. The Tacoma is at the top of the list to check out next time around.