what do you guys think of multieffect pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cobra_lucha, Jul 18, 2005.

1. cobra_lucha

Jul 18, 2005
    oh AND i FORGOT TO ADD. Once again would individual stomp boxes be more worth the while.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This has been discussed quite a few times, but i'll be happy to answer for you.

I would shy away from multieffects. If you're going the multieffects route, you'd want to get something expensive like a Line 6 Pod XT Live or whatever that thing is called. I would just suggest you get individual pedals. You can slowly build up what you want, and when you're tired of something, you could always sell or trade for something else. Also, IMHO, it's more like an experiment building your own pedalboard. "Should I put the wah in the beginning or after the distortion...?" etc etc. I think it's an art of some sort.

Moral of the story: I would go one pedal at a time.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My problem with multis, aside from the obvious that when it breaks or gets jacked, you're out of all your effects, is that you may get a couple of good sounds but could get stuck with a couple of bad ones.

Singles cost more but you can pick and choose each individual pedal. And you always have a reason to go to Guitar Center :hyper:
  4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    My problems is that if you use it as a distortion it should be at the beginning of your board, and as a delay at the end. Using a multi with singles pedals is hard, and I'm thinking of throwing away mine, because of that. I would love it at the beginning for pitch mod or ring mod, and at the end for delay or reverb. Impossible...
  5. friends don't let friends use digital multi-effects. :scowl:

The only thing they accurately 'emulate' is the sound of sucking and blowing at the same time. :spit:
  6. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My experience is that a multieffect pedal is ok if you are jamming or have the time to fiddle at home with recording or something. But for live music, they are just to hard to tweek on the fly in comparison to individual pedals.

I like the better range of options and sounds that you get when you can mix and match pedals and mess with pedal order.

Lastly, I've seen multieffect pedals create havoc live when someone accidentally steps on something. A live stage is usually a bit chaotic. If someone accidentally pressed my delay, I can immediately identify and quickly correct. But when my guitarist, who has a multi, gets his messed with sometimes with all those feet around, the difference is usually severe and the fix is not so immediate.

Until you've found "your sound", stick with one pedal at a time, buying and selling as needed.