1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what do you guys think of my band, be honest please

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Loves2Jam, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Loves2Jam

Loves2Jam

Nov 17, 2008
  2. i like it

3. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Overall, I liked it, those are horns are cool and the bass is moving!! Kind of reminds of 70's music, and I mean that in a good way :) :hyper:

Wish there were bands like that around here, we're stuck with crappy growly metal and horrid cover bands.. :bassist:

Cool stuff!!

Side question...how'd you get that music player to work in your facebook page? I can't get one to work which one it that?

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Not bad really. I was pleasantly surprised, because generally I cringe at how bad a lot of the music posted online can be, but yours has a more professional vibe.

You don't hear much trombone in popular music these days. My immediate impression was that your band is sort of a hybrid of early Blood Sweat & Tears, with a bit of Mothers of Invention, and maybe a bit of the Maynard Ferguson Big Band (if all this was before your time, you might want to Google them or YouTube them... :rolleyes:)

Note: The rhythm section sounds good and sounds tight. Not so much with the horns, which could use some more work.

The live mix is, of course, terrible. Hopefully it'll all sound FAR better when recorded in a proper studio, and properly mixed... :meh:

MM

5. Overall, I like it but here's a little constructive criticism, all IMO of course.

The vocals, horns, and percussion section could use a little work though. The horns have almost got it together just a little more fluidity and a better lock with the rhythm section and they're good. The percussion either got buried or sounded out of place. I don't really have any recommendations as far as that goes because a lot of percussion is feel for where things should go. The vocals fit the style you're going for but I heard quite a lot of notes that were off key. I feel like this band would be much better with a solid female vocalist. With a good girl on the mic you could also do more downtempo stuff (think Jill Scott with horns) to change things things up a bit.

You guys do really sound good and have the potential to sound even better with a lil' fixin' :).

6. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    I disagree. I think though he's off every-now-and-again, he has a classy 'Chicago' kinda feel. What would be interesting would be a duet with a female?

Know what, after listening to a couple more songs, I see where your coming from [with the female singer]. It feels almost kinda like James Brown with the guy. Add in a Diana Krall-ish kinda voice. Yeah, okay, that could go places.

I hear a lot of Garaj Mahal in there too. I really like the feel your band has. Bass lines are solid, I think they provide a good foundation with the drums and doesn't it feel good to be heard in the mix? The horns could be tightened up a bit. In the Funky Chicken song, it would really add a lot more if the horns played more percussive and marcatto (for lack of better term).

I loved the musicianship you guys have and it's refreshing to hear this kind of music now and again. Keep up the good work, eh?

7. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I think that, overall, its great. I would definitely go to see you guys live.

I'm a big fan of Ska and Reggae music, dig funk more than just a bit, and love a good solid R&B groove, so you guys sound good.

However, I would say that overall, the horns and vocals need a bit of tightening. I don't think that they're bad; I really like them. However, the bit of looseness that exists just makes it so that the music and vocals and horns aren't given the clarity that they deserve.

Nice tone, BTW.

8. Loves2Jam

Loves2Jam

Nov 17, 2008
    thanks for the input guys, I agree with just about everything said.

9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Wow, the singer really sounds like Syl Johnson sometimes- I like his vocals a lot.

I agree horns need a bit of work, but overall great music and very fine bass!

There must be so much room for a live band like yours out there, danceable and well rooted in tradition, especially since a lot of the original similar sounding stuff is coming back into style or shows up in samples and rare grooves compilations, etc.

10. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I bookmarked your site. If I see a gig pop up near home I'll definitely come check you out.
    Good stuff! :)

11. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    My 2cents:

Not the kind of band that I would listen at home or at the gym, but SHURE a band that I would enjoy A LOT live (while dancing, of course).

Hey, and the bass lines are too sexy ;-)

12. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    Enjoyed the songs.

Reminds me a little of a pretty good local horn/R&B band here in Atlanta called the League of Decency. I think your recordings sound good; didn't watch the video. To me, arranging music with this many instruments is a challenge and horns are tough to play well--or there'd be more bands with horn sections, as an upbeat horn section just sounds like a party.

Your singer has lots of style.

Keep up the good work.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I think you guys are awesome. As a guy from one of those "Horrible cover bands" ( not entirely true, we have a few originals) in the hard rock/alt/pop genre, I have to say that although I don't doubt these pieces of constructive criticism are accurate, I do think the average listener ( including musicians outside the jazz/funk scene) will never hear any of that.

I would support you if you played near me. :)

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think you're a blast! The opening of "Rejects" sounded a little corny to me, kind of reminded me of a high school jazz band festival, but then it got into a groove and got very catchy. "Reason to live" seemed a little sleepy, but maybe I wasn't patient enough with it. But on the whole, very fun stuff!

15. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    Love the sound overall, and your playing in particular is tight, definitely the glue holding it all together -- so props! I agree with many of the opinions re: the vocals, however ... Kwesi is dead on with his critique of the singer's issue with not staying in key. I would add that he seems to be channeling a bizarre mix of C-lo Green and John Popper. But maybe that's just my ear.

16. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Sounds really good, i'd love to hear some better quality recordings.

17. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    I really like the singer. He just needs to get those off key notes under control.

The first two chords the guitar plays in "Reason to Live" seriously made me think you guys were about to play "Jimmy Jazz" by The Clash, but it went a different way. I enjoyed it, but I think it may need something more. It did seem a little sleepy as someone put it.

Keep it up, it's a nice change from the music that I usually find on myspace.

18. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I dig it. The constructive criticism above is solid, the horns need to be tighter. Your singer has a good voice, but could find the right notes sooner rather than later.

My soul bands (cover band) horns play from notes. Two out of three are beginners, the third one (my father) has played all his life. One sloppy player can mess everything and everyone up. For some reason the note-reading makes listening impossible for them.

Sorry about that, got a gig coming tomorrow and I'm nervous. You guys rock!

19. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    not bad but it needs better mixing. the horns are not blended well. some of the horn parts are louder than the singer. If it was mixed better it would sound 100% better

20. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Overall, I really liked it. I was expecting to hear some more of the same ol' it's been done a million times death metal, so it caught me by suprise. I think it's really fresh. You've probably read about the critiscism of the vocals so I won't go there. I like the sound of the singers voice and I wouldn't change to a female vocalist. He sounds really good. The horns a little sloppy. It all sounds good but I guess if good were good enough then forging a career in music wouldn't be so difficult. I think your band has a clear sense of what it wants to sound like and that's a good thing.

It's a pretty cool band. I think everything just needs to be tightened up a bit. I doubt you'll be making it to the Central, South, or North Texas area anytime soon but if you do PM me and I'll definately pay to see your band perform.