1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you guys think of Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot P Bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sean775, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Are they too aggressive for certain types of music, or are they versatile enough and close enough to regular Fender pickups to use with any style?

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, I'd say that the *most* versatile pickups are usually those with less output, as you can always boost a signal but it is difficult to knock it down. The Hot model has huge mids and a lot of power, so while they are wonderful for many types of heavier music, they probably wouldn't be my first choice for versatility across many genres.

xaosbass likes this.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I've used SPB-2 in a roots-rock band and quite enjoyed it. As long as you play with a light touch and have it a good distance from the strings you get a really full, solid sound. Digging in gives you that aggressive bark they are known for.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Thank you. I'm playing with higher action, but I do tend to dig in when it comes to touch. Which probably explains why I find the SPB-2 to be on the harsh side. I'm thinking I've either got to reform my right hand or else go for a lower output. As a creature of habit, I think I know how this is going to turn out.;)

5. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I had an SPB-2 in my old PJ Mustang (I owned two of these for a spell). I don't remember much about it! It was a bit 'hot vanilla', if that describes it? Not a lot of grind or grit to it, just a loud mids-forward presence. I guess it is analogous to the Dimarzio Model P in terms of output and intent?

It was a pretty bland pickup in the Mustang, but it might work better in other situations.