1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you guys think of this bass? 1995 50th anniversary p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by omoxrawr, Aug 31, 2008.

1. omoxrawr

omoxrawr

Mar 23, 2008
    http://recycler.com/upload/326b48f6-2931-4774-97f6-89c1b6c71e59.jpg

It's a 1995 P

It's made in USA, I don't really know what to expect, I don't know if I want to drive an hour to try it out. Has a rosewood fretboard which I love... What do you guys think? How does this sound? Also, with that thumbrest there, so I have to get a certain kind of pick guard?

2. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, It's a MIA P, The best "quality" P, in most bassists eyes.

I say it's worth the drive.
    One hour for a bass that may (or may not) be your bread and butter.

As for the pickguard, if you do swap it out, (tort that thing!) you will just need to dril two new holes for the thumbrest, or leave the thumbrest off.

Cheers.:bassist:

3. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Wait, I'm puzzled, wasn't 2001 the 50th anniversary of the P? An wasn't there a commemorative replica issued that year?One with all the features of the original like a single coil pickup painted that yellowish TV color and with a black pickguard. 1995 would have only been the 44th anniversary. Pretty certain there was no special custom shop deal for that date.

4. I don't know much about it, but I can tell you its pretty nice lookin' :)

5. omoxrawr

omoxrawr

Mar 23, 2008
    yeah my bad, I read that wrong!

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    1996 was the 50th anniversary of Fender. There was a small oval commemorative badge on the back of the headstock on all models.

7. i have an 06 anniversary usa jazz.. but the neck is an 05 but it has the fake diamond jewel and 60th anni neck plate and the little silver decal on the back of the headstock...they will use necks from the year before sometimes...ill bet there so many lying around.....get it you cant go wrong with a p...its like having a good hammer.:bassist:...

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My daughter has a 50th anniversary P bass, it's a great bass, solid, and sounds great.

9. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
  10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    All models from that model year (95 or 96 I think, probably 96) had a 50th aniversary sticker on the back of the headstock.

That's not a special anniversary model. It's just a regular, standard MIA Precision from that year.

There was a special annaversary model, if I remember correclty. Gold hardware, maybe a flamey sunburst top. Can't remember exactly, but that's not one of them.

ADDED EDIT:

Found one: This is the one I was refering to.

http://www.classicacafe.com/Content/Fender_Precision_Bass_50th_Anniversary_Ltd_Edition_1996_.asp