1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you guys think of this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by no_poetic_devic, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I'm been looking around and this is one of the few DB's at a decent price and that I really like. But I'm a complete newbie and you guys are the experts at this sort of thing so what do you think??

http://www.violins.on.ca/canada/bassesca.html

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Those have a good reputation. Does the price include neck shaving to specs, ebony fingerboard dressing, bridge shaping, and your choice of strings in the Spirocore price range ? (did I forget smthg)

3. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Do you really live in a land where all that comes included with a $1900 bass, or are you just yanking his chain?

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    That's what you get for a 2400 euro no name carved Chinese in the shop of François Bonnier in Antony, just south of Paris...

Those instruments are not playable when they come out of the crate.

"no_poetic" might not get it for 1900 Canadian, but (again) setup parameters have to go into the equation and are good arguments to fuel the negotiation when appropriate. It's better to fight for a free set of decent strings than for the stupidly useless bowshapedobject.

5. I've been offered these by dealers as I have been shopping in the same price range. I don't know about Newfoundland, but I've found some other options worth looking at including fully carved instruments.
    Samuel Shen for example has a higher list price but if you patiently look around, there are deals to be had. I've also heard from endorcements of the Shen's from several sources including luthiers that carry them for their lower line instruments.

I've also found Romanians from Robertson's in NM, Upton, and Altier.
    I have a thread open regarding feedback on those.

I've also been offered a couple higher line instruments for about a grand more. Logistics have made it impossible to check them out though.

So look around and call around. You can often find instruments in this range and quality that are 1+ yrs old and are at least set up if not a little "played in"

There's always Bob Gollihur's Bulgarians as well (approx $2000.00. I have a 5-string and like it very much. Not very loud but to describe the tone, imagine the sound of the string evenly amplified. Not bright or dark, just accurate.
    I use it for my jazzer.

Dave