Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you guys think of Tyler basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    I've heard good things - the electronics look REALLY funky! What is the story w/ these basses?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The only person I've ever seen playing one was Neil Stubenhaus. I've never played one but all accounts I hear tell me they're great instruments.

Will C.:cool:

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never played one, but I see Bill Sharpe play his with Dave Koz once or twice a year, and it's a great sounding/looking bass. His is a teal green 5-string. I don't know if they still make 'em, though. They haven't been listed in the Buyer's Guide for the last couple years. Have you seen one in the wild?

Sharpe slaps the piss out of his, and has acquired the nickname "Rubber-hand Man" as a result. He's pretty hot.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They sound absolutely fabulous!!!
    But the one I've played was too much Fender-like to keep me interested - especially with all those numbers on the price tag...

One of the ugliest headstocks I've seen yet, too...

5. They're still around, in fact they are pretty popular with the Nashville studio cats.

See http://www.tylerguitars.com/35inch.html

I agree about the ugly headstock ;-)

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've played one and they sound phemonenal. I was at a bass shop buying a cab when the owner showed it to me about twelve years ago. It looked real funky, but then he played it. Oh my God. Definitely a studio rat's bass for sure, I want one!

BTW the headstock looks waaaay better in person. I think they look great.

7. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've not played a Tyler bass... but I've played a Tyler tele :p
    It sounds quite amazing, but the headstock is just so... ugly :bag:

8. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I think funkycarnivore has/had one?

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I don't care for the looks, especiall the headstock, and the neck is too thick for my taste, and they tend to be pretty expensive. Other than that, they sound utterly awesome. If sound alone were the top priority, I'd own one now, but it just didn't feel comfortable to me.

10. I have one and it's a really special bass. If push came to shove and I had to get rid of everything but one, I'd probably hang onto my Tyler. It looks like a Carvin knockoff but it sounds terrific.

[​IMG]

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I played a butt ugly one at Corner Music in Nashville a few years back, if I only had the money.........I would be "Mike that bass player with the ugly a$$ Tyler 5" ;)
    For me it's Sadowsky first, Tyler a very very close second and F Bass a very very close third.
    I would take a Tyler 5 towards a trade in a heart beat for my Fodera 5.

12. I played a Tyler 5-string last weekend at Rock City in Somerville, MA. It was built for the bassist for Bon Jovi I believe. Impeccable build quality, super lightweight and well-balanced. The action was incredibly low with no buzzing anywhere on the neck. It had an ergonomic asymmetrical neck profile that was finished in a metallic satin finish. Two bartolini pickups with a 3-band active EQ, with a switch for each band. I didn't get enough time with the bass to thoroughly explore the range of sounds.

I've never played anything quite like it before. It reminded me of the way I have always imagined Ritter basses to be -- sleek and futuristic and ergonomic.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

14. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    wow...five yr. old thread rebounds without skipping a beat... :eek:

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have an Abe laboriel 5, like Bill's. Silver sparkle, under a
    teal blue paint. The bass jumps out at you under stage
    lights, or on video. The Abe bass has a slightly smaller neck.
    Very easy to play. Custom Bart's with a Demeter preamp.
    This bass has been my dance partner for years. Very versatile.
    Tyler has been so swamped with orders that he really
    doesn't advertise much. BUT!! He just started taking orders
    for basses again. The new ones are MARVELOUS! Lots of
    wood for tone, but very light. Glad to see his name here
    again.

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I hear so many great things about them. Neil Stubenhaus plays one and there were only a handful of them floating around the Bpstpn area when I was living with them... too bad I never could bump into one long enough to try...

The colors sound pretty funny though.... I guess you have to have a sense of humour.

17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Most of the bass colors are more "conventional". As you might
    guess, the paint jobs are very nice. Very well done. I will
    admit right here, that I am a Tyler "cheerleader" Jim is hands
    on with every aspect of each instrument. Just him and 5 or
    six guys. This limits the amount of instruments he can make, but the quality is first rate, with great attention to detail. These are not basses made from parts, then assembled. Tyler's are the essence of handmade instruments.

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I absolutely believe you, I just want to test drive one badly....And if they are even half of the bass cats say JT's are for recording, then I WANT ONE.

19. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    [​IMG]

Not exactly my colour of choice, I'm kinda partial to his "Shmear" finishes meself.

[​IMG]

How's everybody's neck? :bag:

20. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

I envy you. I really want a Laboriel signature model. Do you have any pics or sound clips of your Laboriel 5?