What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FleaisGod, May 29, 2001.

1. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey all,

I recently purchased a GK 700RB and a SWR goliath 4x10.
    (you might remember my previous thread). Much to my suprise, this setup wasnt loud at all. The volumes and woofer levels are practically maxed, it just isnt very loud. I have messed with as many configurations as i can, but i can't get it loud enough without distorting (that horrible "farting" sound) My old setup which consisted of a Fender bxr 200 watt amp with a 15" (blah) and a 15" ampeg extension cab was MUCH louder. I think the SWR has great tone, but its just not loud enough. I'm thinking about keeping the head, and returning the cab for two ampeg 15 cabs. Or could it possibly be the head? What do y'all think?
    Thanks in advance,

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Are you running the 700RB full range? I know the GK has some type of biamp situation, but I'm not that familiar with GK amps.

The SWR Goliath (III) is a very efficient cabinet, and should be pretty loud...

Check your head :D .
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Spec-wise, that Goliath is supposed to be a very loud cabinet. I don't have one, nor a G-K head. You might try swapping amp and speakers. Plug the G-K into a different cabinet and see if it's louder. Plug a different head into the SWR - any difference? If you bought the cabinet used, there may be something wrong, such as the speakers wired out of phase. You can check this by plugging a battery into the cab. input and watching the cones. They should all move in the same direction when the battery voltage is applied. That's all I can suggest for now. Good luck.
    - Mike
  4. griff2564

Jan 17, 2001
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I have the 700rb, and I use a SWR Workingman's 410. I have no problems with the volume, but I noticed that you need to run the boost control about halfway to get good level. Then I use the woofer master to set the overall level. It took me awhile to figure that out, but I like the way it sounds. Hopefully that will fix it.
  5. Texbob

May 16, 2000
    Tulsa, OK., USA
    If you need to be that loud, try 2 SVT Ampeg cabinets with a 600-1500 watt amp.
    Buy some good earplugs and good luck!
  6. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    im starting to think it is the head. The cab is supposed to be a monster at 700 watts. I can't understand why such an awesome cab like the goliath isn't loud enough...anyone else have a goliath cab with a different head?

7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Cabinet power rating has nothing to do directly with how loud it is, only how much juice it can handle before it, uh, "breaks".
    Also, since the Goliath is 8 ohms, you won't get the full power out of your head - according to the GK's specs, you'll only get 225 watts RMS max. But since the cab's sensitivity rating is 105 dB, you should be able to get a considerable amount of volume from it anyway.

I don't know, how do you EQ it?
  8. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Oysterman is right the 8 ohm cab will drop the out put of the head, I use a SWR 750 and run 2 goliath 3 cabs and it kicks, when I run one cab it still has balls, I would try a different head and see if it works,
  9. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the replies!
    I generally scoop the EQ with the mids down and highs and lows up. I messed with it some more today, and got a pretty good imporvement, but it still seems to break at high volumes. I think i might get a more powerful GK head. And btw, our practice area is small, but is packed with gear and my guitarist plays through a Peavey 5150 with 8 12's.
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Oh. And he has to crank it too, right? No wonder you feel like you don't have any volume.
  11. Even worse, do you have any hearing left?
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Here's an idea... for your rehersals have him leave one of his 4x12s at home. If you are all of 15 feet away from him he doesn't need that much firepower to be heard.

With my Cyclops (600w through 1x15 and 2x8) I am easily heard against my guitarists rig (a 200w head w/ 4x12 Ampeg).

Your GK should be louder than me.
  13. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    We're looking to play lots of parties this summer, and are amps are most likely going to act as our PA, so we need it to be cranked. We opted to go for a studio over a PA.

p.s. - speaking of hearing, anyone know any good sites for pro-ear plugs?