Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you guys think

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by full_bleed, Jul 28, 2005.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Does this look like any other bass? I did it all in photoshop. The only real pictures I used were for the body wood, background, and the bridge. Everything else was computer generated. I looked all over the internet and the closest to this body style that I could find was Warrior. I initially modeled it after my thumb and a stiletto though. Is it even possible to dye amboyna burl like this? Hope this works...

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    woah... biznitchin....

wow is all I can say. The fact that you could create this image on your comp is amazing. I love the way it looks, and I can't wait for you to build it. Just sheer awesomeness.

about how long did it take you to do that? I'm stuck using MS Paint, and that's extremely difficult to just get curves!

If this didn't take you too long, would you mind doing one for me? I have a new design and it would look awesome like that (not exactly those colors, but that blue looks awesome!)

Greg

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    thanks for the kind words. I tried alot of new things on this so it took me a little longer to get a good system worked out for it. I would say it took about 5 or 6 hours of experimentation before I was on the right track and after that it only took maybe an hour but probably less. Most of that hour was spent just looking at the screen trying to find the little things that I could add or touch up on though. I don't think I'll ever be able to build this bass any time soon or even in the next ten years. I'm guessing it would probably cost about $3,500 or better to have built exactly like this to. What type of fretboard should I paint her with? PM will be sent to you by early tomorrow morning Teh Fleaz0rz.

4. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Talk to Larry over in the Gallery Hardwoods forum. he'll set you straight with what you can and cant do with dyes

that's a sweet finish though... ahhh the wonders of photoshop :D

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Put an andiroba fingerboard on it! It just so happens I know where a pic is ;)... cerb.trap17.com. Click on "Concordis - Fretless 4" and then on "Progress Shots." Larry at Gallery Hardwoods will be supplying that beauty.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Amboyna burl is red. Larry can do some tricky tricks but I'd be surprised if he could turn it blue. You're probably better off getting him to do a dye-through maple or myrtle burl piece and then have your guy shoot the black dye over it for the burst.

7. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    One truely awsome design love one like that myself, though I do like more natural wood colour than dye's but thats just my prefference, deffinately wouldn't turn my nose up at that though

Good work with photoshop though.

Zetora

8. Yes, the body shape is very reminiscent of a Warrior...

9. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Now that Hambone mentions it, the bottom certainly does have that Warrior styled speed cut.

R

10. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    yeah i also noticed that after I finished it. I've seen warriors a couple times before but I wasn't intentionally trying to imitate it when I painted this one up. I've tried to do a couple things different to the body now since I posted it and I haven't been as happy with the outcome. I'm going to have to do something though.