what do you honestly think about squiers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyo, Jul 7, 2004.

1. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    disregard the stigma about them. pretend they're expensive. what do you think about these? guitarists (myself included) usually hate squier guitars...but i played a squier through my new amp the other day. i thought it sounded fan ****ing tastic, especially considering how cheap it is.

what do you honestly think about them?
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'm sure there has been a thread on this, but that aside. I've played a few decentley set up ones that really weren't all that bad. I don't think they are as bad as people say they are. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 2.5. :meh:
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    This has been done to death .... but IF it's a Japanese made Squier then they are very good indeed .....e.o.s.
  4. <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123631&highlight=squier">Here</a> is a similar thread for further reading, and down below is what I think.

If you pretended they cost more, that would make them an even worse value! :D Just playin', I know what you were trying to suggest. Maybe it should have been disregard all stigma, price, value, etc.

I had/have a Squier Precision Standard [Special] 5. I thought I had it sold locally, but I'm pretty certain the guy backed out on me. It goes to GC Friday, for whatever I can get then.

Anyway, you can tell it's cheap just by looking at it, but it is a frickin tank! I got a little careless with it once I got my Ibanez, but it never picked up a new scratch. The previous owner had put some nasty rash, down to the wood, on it, but I can't imagine how. As for playability, the string spacing is nice, a lot more comfortable than my Peavey, and the neck is nice and wide, which I like, so no real gripes there.

As for tone, I should first say, being it's the 5 string special model, it's called a P, but actually just has two J-style pickups. Anyway, the volume is a little uneven over the B, and I don't know the scale, but the B is pretty sloppy. Overall, the tone is Fender-ish, but if you play a real jazz, you can tell how far away, -ish is off the real deal.

Still, once upon a time it was probably a decent deal. Nowadays though, there is no way I could justify dishing out what the local store wants for these brand new. Too many feasible alternatives. However, if you like yours, who cares what I or anyone else thinks?
  5. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    well i dont own it, i just played a squier and a few others while i was trying out the amp, since i didnt have my bass. it sounded pretty cool, but i only used it for a few seconds.

to be honest i'm kind of a bass n00b. i mean, i've had my bass for like 2 years, but its the same one i got in my starter pack...i got kind of derailed with playing guitar, and only recently have i seriously started playing again. so i'm still pretty inexperienced with basses i guess, and i was trying to see what others think.

i'm not decided on what to buy yet. i dont really want to go cheap, because i get the feeling i'll see it as "wasted money" down the line...but at the moment, i'm having a hard time forking over so much money over what i think of as not a big difference.
  6. Look, Squiers are what they are...inexpensive starter instruments. I am kind of a "semi-pro" player. I play about 100 bar gigs a year. I have had my share of Squier basses over the years and I had no problems with them BUT I do my own set-ups. I find that Squier basses need a little more care than more expensive instruments but that applies to inexpensive instruments in general, not just Squiers. I have used them as back-up instruments not as my main stage instruments but, if they are set up correctly, they sound and play just fine. You have to remember there's a reason they sell for $300 instead of $3,000 and the reason is that the woods and components are not as expensive and well made as those on more costly basses but they are servicable (if not particularly elegant). No matter what anybody tells you, you simply are not going to find the same quality and attention to detail on a $300 instrument that you'll find on a $3,000 instrument but most inexpensive instruments made nowadays will perform adequately for a beginner or casual player.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They suck. :/
  8. fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    they are a beginning bass and they do that well. They are cheap.. and they work..
  9. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    they are OK at best. inferior electronics. inferior tone. If i HAD to use one, I could switch out the pickups, send it through a Sadowsky or Aguilar pre-amp and be OK with it. thats AFTER having a great luthier like Lull or Sadowsky do a set-up, fret-dress and nut re-cut on it... but what would be the point of all that? spending $500 or so to make a Squire a very good (but still not excellent) playing bass isn't my idea of what I want in a bass

just my honest opinion
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hate the feel, hate the sound. I've been Spoiled by Ernie Balls.
  11. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I dont know about you guys but my squier P-bass is actully kinda weird.For one this the tuners SUCK RAW MONKEY A$$!!!!!.I cant believe how cheap those are.I was giving my bass a tune up one time and I lossened the tuners to check them out then tighten them again and the screw driver bended the little crosses into sqaures.So I had to tottaly replace the "D" tuner with a tuner I found on this old abandoned jacked up jazz bass.My "A" tuner pops tottaly loose if I tune up too much.I have to hold the bottom of my "E" tuner cuz' it looses as I use it.Another thing,about 1 month after I got it,the screws in the pickgaurd started coming loose so I had to tottaly replace those with sturdy home depot flat head screw's.The plactic nut has definetly worn down.The good side about it is it actully kinda has a nice tone.Nice growl to it.Even though I like small necks Like the basses basses got,the chunky neck is actually somewhat comfortable.I like the smooth feeling it's got in the two sound controls.It doesnt feel all cheesy like the fender telecaster or the MM basses.I actully A/B'd my bass (not MY actuall bass just the same type) to a American P. bass. And the squier was a bit more defined and the tone knob wasn't useless like on the American P.The american p was much bulkier and heavier though.But it has a lot more sustain to it.
  12. Squiers are good instruments for what they are, and that's a starter instrument. I don't know why people expect a Squier to do this, that, and the other, when they've only paid about 150 bucks for it. You get what you pay for.

My friend has a Squier, and he got lucky. It was the nicest Squier I've ever played. I even wanted to buy it off of him, put new strings on it, and convert it to a fretless. But that's his only bass, and he's in a band, so I couldn't really buy it off of him.

If you're gonna buy a Squier, don't buy it over the internet. Go to your local music store that carries them and play each one until you find a good one. Their quality's a hit or miss. They seem like a good instrument to mod the heck out of it.
  13. That really hurt to read.

I have a Squier P Bass. It's ok for noodling, but that's about it.
  14. rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    the feel of the neck on squiers is funny, i've only played a p bass but still the radius is too big or somthing....cource this was my friends that i played and im used to a j bass so that might have been why it felt so odd to me
  15. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a Squier P-Special. Popped a '62 RI P pickup in and it sounds really nice, especially through my SABDDI. I'll still be gigging with it even though I've got a Schecter and someday having my "GAS bill" paid.
  16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I have squier P. I really like mine, it fits me like a shoe. Anyway, When I bought my amp I grabbed the same bass I had and I was horrified at what I was playing. It was all out of wack. I still really want to try the squier jazz basses. I really like the cheaper basses. I feel I can really dig into them with out worries. Thats my view.
  17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My brother has a Squire J-Bass. I have no complaints about it. The neck is a bit big for me but that's probably good for him because he's only been playing for 6 months or something and he might pickup a Stingray or P-Bass down the road. I wouldn't exactly call it a fantastic bass, but it's not bad considering the price.
  18. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I think for the most part that squires are starter basses with a starter price. That is not to say that you will never find a good one, but for the most part they are not made with the best parts,and do not have the attention to detail that their more expensive counterparts do.
  19. I can't really dig on their basses. But almost all the squier strats I have played, sounded and played great.
  20. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    one thing to note is that you played the squier through a NEW amp. I dont remember where, but from somewhere on this board, i learned that in most cases it's easier to make a crappy bass/good amp combo sound good than a goodbass/crappy amp combo.
    just my 2 c