1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you know about boats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Aug 1, 2007.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I have a chance to buy a 19 ft. Starcraft boat with a 90 HP Mercury engine on it for what seems like a pretty good price.

I'm rather new to the boat-world and have only had experience with my dad's Ranger bass boat. So are Starcrafts decent boats? And what about the motor? Any help y'all can give me is greatly appreciated!

AD

2. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    That sounds pretty good. Starcraft are pretty decent, and I have never had a Mercury motor ever quit on me, so if the price is right...

Edit: What year?

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I know the happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat.

The second happiest day is when you sell it!:D

4. My neighbor always said it's far better to know somebody with a boat than to have one yourself.

He also said BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand!!!

5. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

It would be helpful to know the models of the boat and motor. It's would also be good to know how many hours are on the motor.

We used a 17' Starcraft for fishing when I was a kid. My dad got rid of that boat a while ago and is picking up a Seaswirl 2602 this fall. Yeah, boats are a lot of fun. :D

6. I'd be really nice to Dad and borrow the Ranger!! Great boats!!! The thing with owning boats is you MUST be able to do mantenance and repairs yourself, that includes the trailer. Paying to have it done is what costs big bucks.

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That's what everyone told me about owning a truck - and then I went and bought a F150 and have NEVER regretted it. 186K on it and all I've done was touch up some paint, change the oil, and put a new power window motor on it (and a new battery and alternator after I left the lights on overnight).

As for the boat, not sure of the model or year - but I'm trying to find that out as I type. It looks to be in good condition, there's no gaping holes in it from cannon fire. Not sure of how many hours are on it either and I doubt the current owner knows. I think I can trust the guy seeing that's it's the drummer of one of my bands that's selling it. I definitely plan on having it checked out and making sure that it at least doesn't take on water.

My dad has issues with lending stuff to people (even his own son) and I have to twist his arm to get the damn thing out. He hasn't gotten the Ranger out in almost 2 years.

I fish a lot and there's a lot of water I can't cover standing on a bank with my...um...pole in my hand. So I'm pretty set on owning a boat in my life and this seems like too good of a deal to pass up. I have yet to see similar looking Starcraft boats go for less than $4K and I'm paying a little more than 1/4 of that for it (still don't know about model and year though). Just seemed too good to be true so I've got a few posts like this all over the internet to find out some more info before I go through with the purchase.

I appreciate all the info! Anyone else got anything to add?

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I work on our lifeguard boat. I'm a deckhand and I'm working about 40 hours a week on a boat. I know quite a lot about boats. I would say this. Put your money in your pocket and slowly back away, then when it's out of sight run for the hills. Boats will kill you. Biggest money pit around. Luckily our City is footing the bill for our boats.

9. I don't own a boat myself, but I have 3 friends who do.

The only advice I can give, which I only know from hearing what my friends tell me, is that you should plan on spending at least twice per year what you think you're going to spend on your boat. They always seem to need something fixed.

My friends' boats range from 22 to 28ft in length, are all inboards and are used on Jamaica Bay and the ocean.

I noticed that you're in Cincinnati, so perhaps a boat used on a lake or river might require less maintenance than a boat used on saltwater.

On the upside, there's nothing like being on a boat for relaxation, even if one doesn't fish. :hyper: :cool:

I'd love to get a boat.

If you fish a lot; I'd say go for it. Fishing from a boat beats fishing from a pier anyday. :cool:

Good luck with yours. ;)

Mike

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That bad huh?

I'm about 600 miles from any saltwater and am 100% positive that I wouldn't be taking it out on the ocean. I also own a canoe - but I just don't think it would be possible to land a big catfish on the Ohio river in it. LOL

Oh well...from the way things are starting to sound - it might not be such a great idea. I've learned that it's a "tri-haul" which provides stability but also makes for a REALLY rough ride and leaves open possibilities of rattling nuts and bolts loose, etc. I dunno... :bawl:

11. Well, if you do get it, you can bring it up to Hueston Woods or Brookville Lake and take me for a ride. I'll provide refreshment!!

12. They float!

In water...

13. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My husband is a boat mechanic (when he's not busy being a drummer). He is a certified Mercury mechanic...been to school for 'em, works on a lot of them.

You are going to want to get the impellers checked. Evidently, this is a common problem on inboards that have been docked or dry for a while, or that have not been properly maintained. One refrain I always hear from Husband..."Danged boat wallys! They go out on the lake after they've had their boat docked all winter, the impellers go out, they're stranded in the middle of the lake, and they wonder why? Year after year, too...same people! I always end up having to go get some guy who didn't bother to maintain his boat and tow him to the marina."

Ask the seller for maintenance records. The boat should have been winterized every fall, and serviced every spring.

Before finalizing the sale, take the boat to a reputable marine mechanic to be checked out. Trust me, it is worthwhile to do this. That way, you don't end up buying someone else's problems.

Cherie :)

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    It's an outboard and has propellers...so no worries with that. But if I were to buy, I'd definitely get it checked anyways. I've always been a very good swimmer but not if I gotta drag 100 lbs. of fishing gear with me!

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Better make it water or some Mt. Dews - this year they've been cracking down hard on some of the laws that people have been forgetting to abide by.