Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you know about Canada?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Me and a friend are having an argument. He says it is really easy to get into Canada. He says its pretty much an open border to the North. I figure however, that it requires alot of ID and a proper age to get in. I have seen websites that post the "rules" but he still says that in reality nobody in a postition of authority would actively pursue the enforcement of such rules. Has anybody ever been to Canada? What is it really like getting in?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I know that there is a place called Ottowa or something like that. And they don't have states, they have territories. And they made Tom Green.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I know that Vancouver has relaxed marijuana laws and better strip clubs than Seattle. I know that there seems to be a lot of attractive Canadian women. Canadian heshers will often time roll up tobacco with their herbs, usually mixed 50/50. I know that Canadians frequently enjoy chips & gravy which seems to be called "poutine" (sp?) or something like that and it's french fries with chedder cheese curds and brown gravy. I know that Canada also gave us Brian Adams, Alanis Moresette, and most importantly - RUSH! Uh, Canadians like to say "Aye" (or is it ey - eh?) They make pretty good beer which is generally stronger than US brews. I know that Canadians are offended if you imply that Canadian culture is the same as US culture and refer to Canada as the 51st state. I know that some people will refer to Canada as "The Great White North" but they get offended if you imply that the entire country is covered in snow and suggest that they must all live in igloo's. I know that there are parts of Canada where most people speak French. They have a maple leaf on their red and white flag and hockey is very popular there. That's all I know about Canada.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that they are "provinces"

5. Not Territories...they're Provinces.

6. They have good rockers, Rush, Neil Young, Guess Who , etc...

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :meh: I must be on your ignore list.

9. No I decided to make a sandwich really quickly before actually "typing" the reply.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It has been a very long time since I last travelled to Canada. It must have been about 15 years ago. So, I don't know if things have changed, but back then it was easy to get in for vacationing. A driver's license was sufficient ID to get you in to Canada. If you have a passport, then you are definitely good to go.

11. Actually we have 10 Provinces and 3 Territories. :)

12. I used to live in Minnesota and went up to Canada a few times. This was all before September 11th, so I'm not sure how much it's changed (I assume it's become more strict). It WAS pretty easy to get across the border. They did ask for an ID, state your purpose, and sometimes did check your car for illegal stuff. They actually check it out more as you leave, because there are certain laws about what you can and can't bring out of Canada without paying some kind of tariff for it. They, for example, limit how much beer you can bring across the border, smokes too, etc. But really, it wasn't too bad.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used to live and work up there quite alot.

The border is generally very easy to cross with the exception of work situations. You have to get your permits/visas at the customs office and that can sometimes be a bit of a wait. As far as age, I am not sure about minors crossing over though. One would assume that minors would have to be accompanied by an adult. When it comes to ID, a driver's liscense is fine, but a passport is much better when flying.

And yes, there are Provinces and "Territories." :)

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I love "Tranta" and wanted a job there.

I interviewed for a top-level Training & Development job in Toronto, and was told I had the position because I was the best qualified.
    Then, the company got back to me and told me that, even though I was, by far, the best candidate, the Canadian Parliament was putting the heat on Canadian businesses to restrict their hiring to Canadian citizens. I would have gladly become a Canadian citizen.

I lost a ton of respect for Canada after that. I think that Canada will just remain a "tourist attraction" country as long as the government keeps the attitude that;

- We don't care about attracting the best talent
    - Any jerk with a bomb in his shoe can come to live here; hell we'll keep sending them to the USA.

15. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I was there about a year and a half ago. Going across was easy. Canadian border gaurds were great. Coming back however, the US guards were very rude. All we had were our drivers license. They said we needed either a passport, or drivers license with a birth certificate to let us back in. In not the nicest manner mind you.

16. And dissing Canada as such just adds to the the ignorant USA sterotype :spit:

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Take off eh!

18. I've always had similar experiences. Everytime I used to go up to Canada during my Senior year of HS, they Canada border guards were always very nice. When I went back to the US however, totally different story.

I actually got thrown into jail once because of it. I was fed up with the border guard asking me all these assinine questions just generally being a jerk to me, so when he asked me and my friend (who happened to be with me) "how many people are in the car?" I replied, "Can't you count?" He didn't like that too much. :meh:

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

Nah, I was just doing more stereotyping than you were.

20. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Any place that would produce a pubic, I mean, public figure like Tom Green is for sure an unholy place. Tom Green is Lucifer incarnate. Oh yeah, they have these weird animals up there called a "Moose".