Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you know about Italia basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattzink, Dec 2, 2003.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    hey all!
    i've seen pics of the Italia Mondial basses, which i think have a way cool retro look. the description of the pickup setup and construction materiels is intriguing. but what i want to know is how the heck do they sound? where can i hear one online? does anyone out there own an Italia bass (particularly the Mondial)? what do you think of them?

2. I played a couple of Italia basses at a store here in Atlanta. They are very, very cool. The playability was very good and the sound was nice, if a bit limited. I can't remember the model names, but one of them had a piezo pickup. I definitely had a hard time putting both of them down, I'll tell you that! If it had been a few years ago, I think I would have made an "impulse buy."

3. They're manufactured by Fiat Agnelli s.p.a.

CORRECTION: they're manufactured (or at least distributed) by ESP.

According to my Japanese ESP catalog, the bodies are agathis. Pickups are all "Wilkinson design humbuckers." Scales are 34". Necks are maple, bolt-on. They come only in 4-string.

I've never seen them in a store, or offered for sale on the internet.