what do you know about Sheryl Crows skills on bass??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zack01, Sep 24, 2002.

1. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    i think i have seen here play bass. Do anyone know anything more about this??

Isnt she a person who can play almost every instrument??
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Everytime I've seen her with a bass, she looks like someone who is just learning the fundamentals of playing the instrument.

With her money, contacts, and success, she could probably line up lessons with fine teachers and accelerate her progress. She plays piano well, so she's no stranger to instruments.

I think she needs to put down the Fender Jazz, though and go with a 30"-32" scale. The Jazz looks more like it's playing her. If you've ever seen up her up close, she's only like 5'2"-5'3" (I grew up in St Louis and she played all over s. Missouri before hitting it big and she went to college where I did).
  3. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think it's ridiculous to see artists like Sheryl Crow and Bryan Adams playing bass all of a sudden, why didn't they do it in the 80's or the early 90's???? Because then it was cool to play guitar, now it's cool to play bass that's why they're doing it. What do you guys think?
  4. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    It has ALWAYS been cool to play the bass ;)
  5. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I recall seeing her play a Sterling - perhaps that fit better.

I recall the Guild looked to big for her as well.

And her technique suggested she was having a bad time singing and playing at the same time. She looked at the neck a lot, to make sure she was hitting the right fret.

On Bryan Adams, I don't think he is really playing bass. He broke his wrist, or something. When I saw him on the Tonight Show, I could not hear him. The bass lines were mostly synth.

6. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hehe sure it has but it was cool to play guitar in the 80's and early 90's........not anymore:D
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Well wasn't she a music teacher before she was a recording artist? If so then she probably can play a whole bunch of instruments. And since she's the leader of her band then I guess she can play what ever she wants to. Kinda like the way Sting went from bass to guitar and back to bass. Besides I like the way she plays bass.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I always see this in bass groups....people bitching about Sheryl's bass playing.......she has a degree in music, she knows more about music than most MTV bassist.....she also plays the perfect parts for HER songs! Even if you don't like her songs.....she is a great pop songwriter who always has great bridges in her songs.......she also plays bass on a lot of her stuff in the studio.......you can't argue with what works......and she has nothing to prove! Just my two pennies:D
  9. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    i really like her i think she is the best blues and rock female artist and when people write there own songs then i think they are great.

All i wanne do is to have some fun...........
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't know about her playing, but I do know that she's FINE!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Especially in that "Soak Up the Sun" video. A fine example that age does not mean a thing. Fine is Fine!
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I won't disagree with you, jerry, in the sense that she plays "the proper notes." BUT, she just doesn't ADD anything because of her limitations ---- (the Brill Building in NYC had great song writers who couldn't play an instrument to save their lives).

IMO, she is very good songwriter who better leave the basslines to a someone who eats, sleeps, and lives, BASS like Jamerson who could eat her bass playing for an hors d'oeuvre like Pomeroy or Bootsy.

IMO, she just doesn't understand the sheer emotive power of the bass, yet. She may "hear" it but she doesn't know how to make listeners' hearts pump it.
  13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    You know, there is nothing sexier than a female bassist. And, I don't know anything about her bassplaying but I kinda like a lot of her stuff.
  14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a copy of the shelfed first Sheryl Crow album that had Pino Pallidino on bass[who's playing I admire greatly].......it was too glossy, and not half as good as her debut album that was released was!
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

HOt lady.. bad music.. especially considering her age.. dang.... man I would love to take her to dinner and a movie.. and by dinner I mean.. we would be having sex. and by movie i mean we could video tape it ;)

seriously. she plays bass with one finger. that bothers me more than anything..
  16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Jamerson played with one finger!!!!
  17. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    ...And some people use one thumb. Yes she is a hotty, not bad for pushing 40 (or has she passed it). As far as her not yet understanding how to make the bass pump someone's heart...wouldn't some of that have to do with the listener themselves? I can think of a few "simple" bass lines that still make my heart pump. Her basses not looking cool enough doesn't matter to me. She's got bank, good looks and a hit record. I think she's doing alright. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of hers, but it's just how I see it.
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

...what were we talking about?
  19. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i saw her on some talk show playin soak up the sun, she was playin an eb bass, looked like it fit pretty well.
  20. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've seen her playing a Stingray, or Sterling bass.
    But I heard there is another guy who plays bass on most of the songs-wasn't it the guy from that band Jellyfish?