Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you like better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, May 27, 2003.

1. Jazz

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Precision

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Carrots

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Fender Jazz bass

or

Fender Precision bass...

2. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    I chose the precision only because that's the kind of bass I own and I have spent the most time with. Also, I personally like the sound of a split-coil rather than a J pickup.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I like the Precision more than the jazz bass, but I really don't have anything against the sound of the JB. This is just my personal preference.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I dunno. What do YOU like?

5. I dunno...

I have a P/J combo(Ibanez) and I like it alot...I use the P pick-up mostly...but I like the J's sound...

I played a P @ G.C and it was junk.

I wanna play a jazz...

I like Mark Hoppus basses the best from fender though(yeah,yeah...shun me,whatever)

6. I voted carrots, since I'm an anti-fender. But If I was getting one for free. I'd choose a Jazz .

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am a P-man. If I play a jazz, I end up trying to find that P sound in there somewhere. But these days,I require much more horsepower and an extra string to get the job done.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like threads that haven't been done before.

9. ugh...everyone has been on my case lately. :rolleyes:

10. call me a jazz man, but I like ridin the bridge p'up of the jazz with the tone rolled off... just a nice fingerstyle funkin sound. Can't go wrong with both p'up full on and the tone rolled off a little bit for a nice slap too. Im a bad guy to ask cause I love the P for that nice thump and the R and B groovin; sorry, but thats the most decisive answer your gettin from me.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wait,,,, these exist?

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, according to legend, there are some threads that have only been done about 3-6 times. Some of those have been seen, with some sightings (though somewhat unreliable) of threads being done as little as 1 or 2 times.

But those are just urban legends. No one has actually SEEN a thread that has only been done once. It's physically impossible for a thread to never have been done, otherwise it wouldn't be a thread, now would it? :D

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

........*Brain implodes*

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Well Done! Good Man!

I love my new off the rack MIA P-Bass. It is a great instrument. The way it looks now with the "classic" mods I've done, I have a hard time putting it back in the case. I love this bass.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84716&highlight=obligatory

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jazz Bass, one thousand percent!

16. I prefer the wider neck of the P bass over the narrow J variety.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I voted carrots, because it's apples and oranges.

These are two very different basses. The J has more tone capabilities due to the 2 pickups, but the P has a boom boom tone the J can't really match.

Their necks are very different, too.

Once again, try both, also try other basses, and make your choice regarding to what your ears and fingers say to you...

All the best,

18. Voted for the carrots...
    Fender doesn't do the trick for me.

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Both!
    I have been a Jazz bass guy for 26 years and I finally bought my first Pbass a few years back and I'm totaly diggin it, Two totaly different animals.
    Everyone should have one of each :D