1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you like to hear in your monitor(s)

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pan1k, Aug 4, 2012.

1. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm sure this is going to vary from player to player as well as genre but what do you generally like to hear in them. Or conversely what do you not like on yours? Just curious to see what people like to hear on stage. For me, I'm a control freak!as far as hearing things. I like a lot of drums, a little bit of guitars and a little vocals (use some as cues).

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Guitar and vocals. Mostly my vocals and guitar.

That's given that I have my bass rig behind me of course.

3. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    keyboards and vocal always. secondary is guitar or horns. bass never

4. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I'm old school/low tech - small clubs or bars. PA is only for vocals and that's all I want coming out of my monitors. Sometimes the guitarist brings along keys and plugs into the PA and I don't like it, but he's a GREAT friend and it is his PA!

X8

5. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Really no bass?

6. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I like everything in my mix. Prominent kick, snare and hi hat. The rest I just mix in so I can hear well enough to react to what's going on

7. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Haha

8. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Indoors: Vocals in my monitor.
    Outdoors: Vocals and a wee bit of far side guitar.
    No need for bass in my monitor as my bass rig is my bass monitor. :D

9. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    That's pretty much my mindset too.

10. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    So I'm getting that the consensus is that bass shouldn't be in my monitors and rely in my rig for that?

11. AndreBas

AndreBas

Mar 11, 2012
    I usually start sound check with nothing on my monitor. Since every instrument have their own amplification on stage, I hear enough from the other musicians. Sometimes it's necessary to have the lead vocals on my monitor as the vocals are mainly projected towards the audience. I'd never ask for drums on my monitor as 99% of the drummers hit hard enough to be heard anyway. Even on big stages I'm usually close enough to the drummer to hear and see what he or she is playing.

12. why would you want bass??

anyways as far as a monitor should go, you only need in it what you need to hear. maybe a little kick/snare, guitar, keys, lead vox, and that is really about it...

it changes for me each time, due to each gig being different and hearing different things. i find putting everything in your monitor does 2 things. 1/unnecessarily add extra stage volume, and 2/muds up what is going on on stage for others (and sometimes self):cool:

13. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    No, not exactly. I (the bass player) do not need bass in "my" monitor as I'm standing front of my bass rig. My drummer however likes lots of bass & vocals in "his" monitor(s) because he is behind the kit. The far side guitar usually likes a little bass, a touch of #2 guitar and vocals. Near side Guitar likes a touch of far side guitar and vocals and a touch of kick/snare to compensate for my bass rig in his right ear. (this is when playing outdoors)
    Indoors every one pretty much just needs/wants vocals.

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Vocals and guitar.

I could see needing some kick and snare if I couldn't hear them on my own, but we don't play big enough stages to really worry about that.

15. shtik

shtik

Jun 8, 2011
    Totally depends on the situation.. Could be anything from just Kick drum and far guitar (on wedges, when there's a good bass rig, keyboard/vocal wedges are next to me) to everything there is on stage (with IEM's).

16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Sounds from the Amazon Rainforest :ninja:

Seriously, an equal mix of it all, depending on how loud the drums and back gear are on stage where i stand..

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That's what I do. Unless I'm playing a big show, with big monitors and a sound guy that only runs stage monitors. In that case, the stage monitor guy is either my hero, or my arch enemy. Usually the latter.

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    When you run it from the stage, vocals are it. We only run one mix. The drummer always whines about wanting kick drum but is denied! He has a Rolls headphone monitor and I can send him his very own mix but he never brings it.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    For my acoustic band I want Guitar and vocals. I prefer my vocal be down slightly from the other two singers as I feel I get better references for both pitch and timing that way. Lots of harmony singing and we all sing lead. We use 3 separate but similar monitor mixes. I use two cabs on stage to spread thevsound but at low volume. Other folks want the percussionist in their mix. I don't really want to hear much of that so none for me.

In my surfs billy thing it's vocals and guitar. I never have trouble hearing the keys... Wonder why that is.... If he wasn't such a strong player and decent writer and singer it would annoy me. He's a stud though so in reality it let's me lay back a bit and just focus on the kick, snare & hat. Kinda fun to lay back once in a while.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Vocals and guitar.