1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you like to see in your payed rehearsal rooms?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Soverntear, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    Afternoon TB,

So I've been working at a jam space here in Toronto and I've been trying to think of things to grab for the studio that bands would like to have available. we have the obvious equipment stuff, including a guitar and bass that bands can borrow if needed.

But I'm trying to think of things that would be useful for bands. right now were reopening the "mini store" (pop, chips) which is the biggest request we have. I'm also thinking about getting the following to sell:

stings (obv more guitar than bass but a couple sets of bass just in case)
    drum sticks (we go through our house sets quite a bit so this would help cover some cost)
    patch cords
    cheap straps (we have one on a loaner, think the new ones would stay as loaners)

those are what I have off the top of my head. any input would be great, it could be on stuff we should sell ro just general info. thanks again guys and gals

2. Basic OTC pharmacy stuff, like ibuprofen, benadryl, imodium AD, tissues, hand sanitizer, etc.

It would also be good to have a first aid kit handy behind the counter in case someone gets hurt (e.g., small cuts etc.) so that a band doesn't have to stop what they're doing and run to the store for band-aids etc. I wouldn't charge them for stuff like a band-aid or a little antibiotic ointment.

As far as musical stuff for sale, a selection of guitar picks would be nice. Drummers should bring their own sticks; I don't think house sticks should be provided, although having some for sale is cool.

3. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    the first aid/pharmacy stuff is an amazing Idea, thank you. I'm going to go get the basics before my next shift. the musical stuff, no idea why i forgot picks but they are on the list now.

as for the stick, ALLOT of drummers forget them (which baffles me, same with forgetting a strap or patch cord) I personally don't like giving out sticks, they always come back chewed but like a little pug or something had a field day on them. so ordering in bulk and selling them I think is going top become the new policy

4. toilet paper. that is the biggest thing that is always missing at our practice space. there is never any in the bathrooms.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I bet you could sell a few SD cards to bands/artists recording themselves on portable recorders, who forget, lose, or fill theirs. I'd sell energy bars too, because there's nothing worse than hunger/low blood sugar when trying to play.

In the rooms, I'd like to see guitar hangars on the walls, so I don't have to use a stand. I don't know if I've seen those in a rehearsal studio, but I've played a venue that has them on the walls on stage, and it's great.

6. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    we keep TP and paper towel behind the desk, all they need to do is ask. main reason being were in a warehouse and the bathrooms are shared with the other units

7. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Batteries, Ear plugs, tampons, string winders, Energy bars, energy drinks

8. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Coffee maker. Drink fridge. live recording option.

9. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    SD cards maybe in the future, a bit pricey to keep in stock and in the 4 months I have been working there, most people just record to there laptops or get us to do an off the floor mix and burn them a CD.

LOL@ the guitar stands on the walls, if you saw the walls at our studio you would understand why i'm laughing. the walls SHAKE like crazy so i wouldnt trust anyones guitar on it.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    IME, once you start treating someone's wounds, liability is transferred to you. What if the cut gets infected and the guy loses a finger or something? Who will they sue? You and your company.

I suggest you sell small basic first aid kits, if you think they will sell.

As far as distributing a "little" antibiotic ointment from a previously opened tube, IMO, that's the last thing you want to do, especially in this day with all the viruses and other stuff going around.

11. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Sounds like you have it covered. Sometimes a parking map is helpful (where to go when the lot is full and you're late already).

Good luck!

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    IMO, If it was my business, I would NOT be loaning out straps, sticks or anything else. I'm sure it's been said "Oh, my sticks are broken! Don't worry about, just get some loaners from the studio. The studio becomes the crutch.

If someone forgets a strap, they can sit on the floor and play or maybe, just maybe, put an extra one in their case.

Do provide picks and other misc. for free? Music stands, guitar strings, etc?

All that loaning eats into profits and wastes your time keeping track of it. If the stuff in not in a locked display case, who will be tracking the inventory when you have to take care of a problem in one of the rooms? I suspect that some of it will be stolen.

I suggest that you make a general announcement and your customers know that after a certain date, no loaners will be available. Let them buy their own stuff.

13. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto

in canada our laws are a bit different. on top of that if we did the ointment route, no way i would apply it. also no way i would allow the bands to go direct from the tube. I would put some on some paper towel and get them to apply it them selves.

well that is until i am trained in first aid and have the legal responsibility to tend the wounds myself.

14. Clean/non-stinky is always nice.

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    +1 0n the coffee...

Check out how my friend Jon does it.
    http://www.jamspot.com/

16. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    One thing that made a remarkable difference in my rehearsal space is when our lead singer brought in a Bose "stick" linear array. It stands in a corner and delivers very consistent volume and EQ to virtually every spot in the room. It replaced a cluster of stage monitors that we had in the center of the room. The monitor cluster was a big improvement over a pair of standard PA speakers against one wall; the PA cabs tended to be very loud for some and not loud enough for others, and they were very prone to feedback. The cluster was a lot better about feedback, but took up way too much floor space. The Bose has lots of headroom and is very resistant to feedback even to mics that are close to it and pointing at it. We also use it for PA and monitors together for small shows.

I realize that merely mentioning the Bose name will cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth with some folks, but in our applications the stick works exceedingly well.

17. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Thats a good point. It's one thing to provide first-aid kit items such as band-aids and ointment (whether for free or for $$) but let folks treat themselves beyond that.

18. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    sell booze and have naked dancing chicks. you'll be fighting off the customers.

19. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Zig-Zags :D

20. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    yah know we've thought of that and I normally bring ziggy's with me (my boss is ok with me indulging while im at work, long as the job gets done). w`e dont keep them in the office just because its a bit unprofessional. just like he doesnt like it when I roll one up in the office

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021