Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Do You Listen To in Your Car?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The "What is in your CD player?" thread is so long, I thought I'd ask a variation on the question. What do you listen to when you are in your car?

The answer might be radio instead of CDs or tapes. And the radio might be talk shows or news instead of music. Or you might do as I do and never turn on the radio because you are advertiso-phobic or because you don't like corporate playlists and prefer your own.

I'll answer my question to get the ball rolling. In my husband's car, we listen or he listens to tapes of Latin American music I have programmed especially for him. He also is fond of listening to tapes on investing, planning for retirement, and other inspirational tapes such as those by Zig Ziglar and Tony Robbens. Once in awhile, he likes the radio dialed to 50s and 60s oldies.

For me, I listen to tapes I've programmed of blues selections...or dare I confess...selections of "contemporary jazz" or what has been called here "comatose jazz", but I'm not proud. While I love metal, it makes me too edgy for driving. I don't ever turn on my car radio.

What about you folks? What kind of music or radio do you like when "the rubber hits the road?"

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I listen to one of 4 things:
    -Highly Agressive music...it's the only time I can listen to it loud without incurring the wrath of the people that don't like it...
    -Laid back...you know, for the cruising! Nothing but mellow punk/alternative stuff...
    -One of my Uber mixes, which has themes (hard, mellow, dorky, ect) depending on the day
    -Singing music...the stuff I sing to, for either the fun of it, or to work on my pipes.

Can you dig it?

3. my car has a tape player, and i have a clash/fugazi tape, a NIN/APC tape, a radiohead/dave+tim tape, a roots/beastie boys tape, and a 311/Rage tape.

4. If the vehicle doesn't have a cd/tape player I listen to Public Radio.No commercials and no friggin' annoying DJs.If I bring my portable cd player:The Cure
    Radiohead
    Failure
    Cocteau Twins
    Pretty mellow stuff so I'm least likely to speed(don't want any stickin' tickets.)

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are those tickets for sticking people? Like tickets for stoning someone? :D:D

6. Ooopss.Typo.I meant stinking tickets.Dooh.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I used to listen to Z-Rock before they went off
    the air...Tejano?!? :mad: when I had these 30
    and 40 mile drives to Lewisville and McKinney.
    It was great! I'd crank it to 11 and by the time I
    got to work, I couldn't hear any manager babble
    till lunchtime :p .

Then it was WBAP (AM 820) for traffic reports when
    I worked downtown.

Nowadays, I listen to myself cussin' out soccer moms
    in land barges :rolleyes:..."Maybe the Family Thruster DIDN'T
    come with turn signals?...One lane to a customer Grandma!"...

8. If I listen to the radio, I either listen to the corporate rock station, it's bad but consistent, but if it's late night I can usually get something good off the local college station, or CBC Radio 2. Actually, CBC Radio 2 plays classical all day, any other Canadians listen to it? Or I'll listen to a tape most of the time, I get them cheap used at a local place, right now it's Deep Purple, but lately I've also had Sloan in for a while. Just out of curiousity, has anyone heard of or like Sloan, they're local, but they've had a few albums, so I don't know how widespread their music is?

9. rayengle

rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Tower of Power (any), Ruben Blades: Tiempos & Buscando America, Robben Ford & the Blue Line (any), Santana Live in South America, SRV & Double Trouble, BB King & Eric Clapton, Cubanismo! , Living Colour, Chet Atkins & Mark Knofler, Dave Mathews Band, Allman Brothers, Weather Report, David Bowie Live, Shawn Colvin, Donny Hathaway Live, John Hiatt, Before You Were Punk I, and (dare I say it) the Dixie Chicks. PLUS lots of Salsa, BeBop, Blues, & Funk mixes. Oh, yeah, Weird Al!

I have a pretty long commute & nobody tells me to turn it down!

- Left-Lane Ray

10. Well, In the car (yah, it's my dads but i use it a lot now) I have

Beatles: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Led Zeppelin: BBC Sessions (JPJ's tone is sucky though)

The Doors: The Doors

you know that it would be untrue...you know that i would be a liar....

11. I'm currently involved in a project with a guitarist (Daniel Glikmans) who resides in France (I'm in Canada). We record (just the 2 of us on all instruments) over the internet. I've written some tunes (Un Poco Mas - among others) and he writes some. I burn his (and my) very 'raw' ideas for new tunes on cd's and listen to them in my van. I find I can think better while I drive, and this is how I develop the tunes, or come up with suggestions. What can I say... some of us are strange! :)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jason-
    ...I listen to CDs in my car(ie, no vinyl). ;)

13. Boplicity

JimK, vinyl in a car! One of two things would happen. They would curl up like tacos from the heat or someone would steal them if they happened to see them. Cars and vinyl don't mix.

Say, I have a question, JimK. I have a tape recorder in my car, but my next car will have a CD player (OR ELSE). Anyway, do heat and freezing cold damage CDs?

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don´t have a car, but when I´m in my parents car I listen to 3 tapes, one with Mezzoforte (an Icelandic fusion band), one with Mudvayne, Pearl Jam anything in between, and one with stuff I can´t remember..

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would think so...
    BTW, a few years ago, when I first installed an "aftermarket" cd player in car(a Sony), the player did behave erractically when it was either too cold or too hot outside. I haven't noticed this in my new vehicle, factory equipped with a cd player. Who knows?

16. JO... you have a tape recorder in your car?

anyway, too much heat and/or cold, can damage your cd´s. it´s ok as long if you keep them in a place like some box, or gloves department or something.. some cd´s (especially with fancy cover art on the cd) stick to cd sleeves (you know, those that hold 48 cd´s or something) in too much heat/cold, and the color goes off the cd´s and into the sleeve, it doesn´t do too much damage to the cd, but it looks ugly as hell!

it´s ok to keep your cd´s in the car (as long as no one steals them) and don´t worry about them... at least IME.

hope I made myself clear...

and to answer the original question, I don´t drive.

17. I never listen to the radio. When in my car I am usually on the way to work, or on my way to a customer. To help me get the personality I need to deal with my customers GWAR is the #1 music. Heavy, Driving, and Funny.

On the weekends or my way home I usually listen to something I am working on with a friend or some Jazz or Funk.

18. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Currently I have Several Rush cds, Primus, Bele Fleck and the Flecktones, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Iced Earth, Death Angle, Parliment, Living Color and RHCP. At any given moment anything could be loaded into my cd player. No boundries.

19. Boplicity

Gruff Puppy, you listen to GWAR in the car? Cool! I'd probably have a wreck.

The bass, you caught me. I said tape recorder when I meant tape player. I goofed. My next car WILL have a CD player, though. I swear.

To all, it is surprising and interesting the wide variety of music you folks have in your cars.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I listen to loud aggressive music in the car, as it really cuts through road noise. This is usually hardcore or metal, but not always. I also do what X-man does, listen to burns of rough ideas/mixes. I can't wait to get a cd player that plays mp3 and RW cd's. I also swear at the land barge drivin' cell phone talkin' brain death havin' waste of life killer soccer moms/monkey suits.