1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you look for when buying a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistgook, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Tone

60 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Looks

18 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Comfort

34 vote(s)
    29.3%
  4. Price

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    Just thought I'd check to see what everyone goes for the most when considering a new bass.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    To me, a bass is just pickups and a neck. Everything else is cosmetic.

3. It's all connected- I'm looking at the whole package. the specifics tend to change every time; right now I'm looking for a J-necked MIJ Precision, a Geddy or similar Jazz & a nice fretless 4 or 5.

4. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    I first go for comfort... if it feels good in my hands that is a big plus.. then I go for tone.... I have 2 basses right now... A Yamaha RBX170, and a OLP Stingray copy, Tony Levin model.

The OLP I bought without even playing but I have tried the MM in stores and liked them so I figured I would give it a try... I an not sorry at all... The Yamaha I bought getting back into it... it cost me $100. Definately worth it and a really good first bass, and then some!!!

5. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    At this point, every new instrument of mine is going to have to be better than my most recent one in some way. That's my new rule.

If the new bass has better pickups, I'll just replace the pickups on my current bass. It it's that the new bass is the same general shape but looks nicer, then I'll change the pickguard on my current bass. Nothing except for a 1) radical improvement in neck feel, 2) total difference in sound, or 3) entirely more comfortable shape is going to make me buy a new bass.

6. ghoulsfiendclub

ghoulsfiendclub

Dec 17, 2006
    Portugal
    i look for several points, construction, neck, pup's the whole shizzle. But TONE is one of the most important points ... and price :D

7. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i'd vote for all of the above

8. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    well, it's pretty simple for me, when I want a bass things go in this order

Looks
    Plays
    Sound

why that order? for me they are all as important, but if you meet an instrument... what happens? you see it, you play it, you hear it.... it's the inevitable order lol, but that's for me who cares of all aspects, not only one or two, like some people who don't mind the look, or others that might not pay special attention to how it plays, but rather of how it sounds xP

9. TONE!
    If a bass doesn't sound good, its worthless, simple as that.

10. Feel first, then tone. If it doesn't feel good while I'm playing it, I probably won't bother plugging it in to get the tone.

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    MY WIFE'S APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops:

12. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Looks/Price first (has to be appealing to me for me to even want to pick it up, as well as being within my price range), Feel (if it feels good, then I'll plug it in), Tone (after I plug it in, if it sounds like crap, I'll pass, unless its cheap enough for some mods).

Finally, as hasbeen says "MY WIFE'S APPROVAL" ; )

13. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island

That is the main reason I don't have a MM Stingray...yet....lol

14. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    a strait neck and a body made out of tone wood. I also prefer a bridge that runs the strings through the body.

15. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    +1 Well said!

16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    It looks like I'm the only one so far, but I voted price. At least that's my starting point. I look at everything within the price range I'm considering and then the other factors come into play.

17. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    It is the neck for me, how it feels to me is important, how the body lays as well. I had basses that were so uncomfortable to play, they just sat in the case. I now just choose comfort, Fender necks, Spector necks, my two favorite. The only high end bass that I tried and loved, a Sadowsky, but I don't have the money to spend on gear like that to play in a basement, so I don't.

18. Very light (4 to 8 lbs) Cumfortable, not pricey (less than 500$) and if it has a good pickup it's just a plus... Pickup can be change.

19. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    I don't think I could choose just one, or even rank them. Its kinda like saying, 'do you check out a woman's legs or butt first?' I look over everything in a split second. And just like a woman, I know what I like when I feel it.

Wow, that was exceptionally chauvinist, wasn't it?

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This has been done before, but again, to me, it's a package deal. Has to look good, feel good, and sound good. (good=great) The price is the only real variable.