1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you make of the route on my Sadowsky 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JSandbloom, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    I have this Sadowsky NYC PJ5 that I pulled the pickguard off and found this interesting route. What kindof pickup do you think was originally installed?

1CA533B9-3CF2-4219-907E-126AA94BBECD. 83B3547B-813A-4E6C-9430-D885FDE83FDA.

2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Is that from the factory?

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Looks like a MM style pup in the p position. Weird placement for an HS bass... or would it be an SH?

RedJag likes this.
  4. jag-atk

jag-atk

May 5, 2010
    IMHO this kind of routing is ment to swap coil positions - i.e. you can move the DG coil neckward and the BEA coil bridgeward (think about spector or warwick streamer basses). of course you will need a new pickguard with that specific coil configuration. maybe you can even fit a j Pickup in there....

5. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Yep, it looks like it's to enable reversing the P pickup if you wanted to do that.

t335, DrayMiles, BboogieXVII and 6 others like this.
  6. I'd say no to an MM because I've never seen one with 4 screw tabs. The reverse P option also gets nixed because the P in there now doesn't fit in any of those tabs. Also the upper left tab route is extra wide.

So the correct answer is this bass doesn't make sense and therefore does not exist.

7. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    Looks like a JJ to PJ conversion to me.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Why not just ask Roger?

9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't understand why the bottom part of the route is stepped instead of straight either. Was this used?

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    This looks to me like a case of "The build spec sheet says WHAT?!?!?"

bassbully, petey293 and blackandwhite like this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Looks like multiple pick up options. Reverse P and J in two positions.

12. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Kind of looks like the pickups were just adjusted to fit maybe an aftermarket pickguard, so not flush with the route

Doctor J likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. I actually like it. It doesn't hurt anything and gives you options. I haven't popped the guard on my Hammersmith but @MarkoYYZ sent me some pics during final assembly. I think it had an MM in the P position at some point during it's journey to me (has a Nordstrand P in that position now). Either way, I love it like it is, but there's something cool about knowing that if my pickup tastes change I can simply have a guard made with no sawdust involved.

But, yeah. That's a P/reverse P route.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Not enough info.

TonyP- likes this.
  15. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I would find it hard to believe that this went out of sadowskys shop in that configuration

mdogs, joebar, tradernick and 4 others like this.
  16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I dig it

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Looking closely at the pic you can see screw holes where the P pickup was mounted the other way at some point.

JMacBass65 and pjbassist like this.
  18. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    That's fine, but then if the route is to allow reversing the split coil orientation, it would be too narrow to fit the same pickup. Imagine a pickup big enough to fill out the route for the P in the current orientation. If you slide the split coils over to the opposite configuration, they would no longer fit.

To the OP:
    Is the top of the route also stair stepped? (neck side)
    Do the pole pieces not line up with the strings? Or is that just the angle of the photograph?

fleabitten likes this.
  19. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

This

DrayMiles likes this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It was not sloppy, it simply allows for standard and reverse split pickup options.