1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you make of this

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Disappear, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    DSC_0001-3.
    DSC_0002-3.
    DSC_0003-3.

Usual wear and tear? It's my most inexpensive bass but any suggestions to return it back to it's shine?

Pics are included free of charge.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It looks like you need to get the frets dressed (there's some wear there) and they can be polished up as part of the job.

3. You talking about the fretboard? It looks a bit dried out. Try getting some tung oil or lemon oil on there.

4. Looks like a Bass neck that has been played! Nice job!

5. the engine

the engine Guest

I would go with a really LIGHT coat of tung oil.

6. Clean it really well with rubbing alcohol. Then lightly apply tung oil by dabbing some on a rag, and rub it in. Wait a day, then buff with 0000 steel wool, after covering your pickups with masking tape. Repeat until desired shine is achieved.

7. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    From what I gather, I should use tung oil for the fretboard. The frets don't bug me much. Sure they'd probably sound better, but I like its sound.

8. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Do NOT put tung oil on the fingerboard! Use Lemon oil or bore oil, something that will absorb in rather than build up a hard coat. Tung oil is generally used in "oil finishes" on every part of the bass *but* the fingerboard.

Your fingerboard is dry and could use some oil. It is multicolored because the lighter colored rosewood (mahogany?) fingerboard was dyed black to look like ebony -"ebonized", that is to say- and you've been rocking this bass so hard that you're wearing through the dye.

Nice work!

Your frets look a little worn, but I wouldn't worry about having them dressed until the grooves get deep enough to cause string buzz. ....And remember, you only need to push down on that string hard enough to hold it against the fret! You can polish them up with #0000 steel wool if you like.

9. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    This kind of sums this up for me. I see so many questions posted on this board where guys are asking to be coddled and have their hands held. Spend more time practicing and less time obsessing about your piece of crap bass. And if you're going to be anal about setup (as I am) learn how to work on your bass.

Jeez!

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Looks like a bass guitar neck, w/o strings.

Use Liberon 0000 steel wool to clean & polish. Liberon makes hardware store 000o seem like a potscrubber, in comparison.

11. CORRECT ANSWER

12. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Heh, well then. I haven't touched it yet, don't really intend to until I get a little bit of spare cash.

What's the point of buying a bass if you're not gunna play it, right? It was my first bass and she loves getting played hard. [take that anyway you'd like]

Thanks to this site, I know how to.