Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you mean by an Eden's "wooly" tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ole Jason, Feb 6, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Now that I got my left over scholarship money it's time to go amp shopping. I want to check out some Edens if possible. I've heard a lot of people describe their tone as 'wooly'. Do you mean fuzzy like when an ampeg breaks up or like the round fat woody sound of a lot of warwicks? I've seen a couple of bands that have used them but unfortunately none of them had bassists that really let me hear their tone all over the fretboard. Any other suggestions for amps would be appreciated. I play jazz and some rock but a good jazz tone is my primary concern. I dig the tone of guys like Patitucci and Otiel. Looking to spend around $600-800, definately be shopping used. Thanks

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Is $600 to $800 for both head and cab?

3. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    No just the head. I have separate money put away for a cab, I'm just not sure what configuration I want to go with.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm,

that might be it. to me, its like there's this light piece of gauze over the tone that gives the tone this furriness that rides atop the sound. whereas, playing an EA head is like taking that gauze off, and cleaning it down with peroxide. :p

you just gotta try it.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hmm, if "wooley" is what eden sounds like, they had better add a new definition in the dictionary. It is warm, yet still a bit hi-fi, sounds incredible, but pretty transparent.

PS, comparing an eden to a warwank, or any device that farts consistently could get you beaten to a pulp :D

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'll give you the warm for sure. But high fidelity and transparent? With Eden? No way! At least not to my ears... I think that Eden has it's own inherent "growl" that is rather inescapable regardless of EQ, as do the better and older warwicks. Good analogy if you ask me. Warwicks are the Edens of the bass world (vs. the bass AMP world). I have played Eden gear and it has it's own sound... Even at flat (which is how I think they sound best), it isn't what I would call hi-fi: it still sounds like the bass being played through an Eden and not just the bass being played. Different strokes for folks/courses for horses/YMMV. :smug: :cool:

7. I think wooly means different things to different people, so I don't think you'll have much luck finding an objective answer. As for "Jazz" tone, I think you are looking for an amp head with a flat clean response and a speaker that will accurately reproduce it. Most bass heads color the sound to one degree or another. For that reason, I'd recommend a used Demeter pre-amp and a good used power amp with at least 300 watts bridged into 4 ohms. As for a speaker cab, I'd look for a used SWR Triad. The Triad is a 3 way (1x15,1x10,1xtweater) system with a good flat studio type sound that is perfect for Jazz.(jmho)

Good Luck

8. To hear a perfect description of eden tone, buy the incubus morning view session DVD. He comes through very well.

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Eden definatley has its own growl. My 4x10 is really growly, warm, snappy. It sort of seems like the best of Ampeg and SWR cabs composed into one unit.

10. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks guys, this is helping. I hadn't though of the demeter, I'll have to check around on those too.

11. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I happen to play through an Eden WT 800 and two Eden 410 XLT cabs and guess what I play through them - that's right!, a couple of Warwicks along with my Roscoe and F Bass. Everywhere I go I get tons of compliments on my tone from fellow musicians and soundmen. The Warwick basses might not be for you but there is no need to trash them here.

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Note the smiley!!!!!!!

Actually, I liked the tone of the warwicks I have tried, it's the necks I don't like.

13. If you want Growl
    If you want Punch
    If you want nice lows
    If you want good look
    If you want power and versatility

EBS HD350 or Fafner

Seond Hand around the $800 ive seen them on ebay for...

just amazing tonal range..!!!...

Peace... :)

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I guess another Good analogy for might be that SWR is the Jazz strung with rounds, while Eden is a Precision strung with flats.

They are warm, articulate, and have a mid/low hump in the frequency response that lets them cut like nothing else. I personally think they sound amazing, and are some of the best cabs out there, if not THE best. Haven't tried all the amps, so I can't make that statement for sure. Only ones I've come across I lke nearly as much are Epifani, but they are too polite.

Eden is like a lumberjack. Especially when you get a couple of 410XLTs and a kilowatt of power pushing.... Oh sweet jebus I was in love! (Now using a 410XLT and and SWR Big Ben).

Gimme Gimme soma dat Eden love...

15. i auditioned a bergantino HT-112 with an eden amp, though i am not certain what kind. it really sounded clean and warm at the same time. it's not hi-fi in the EA sense, but i was not very pleased with the EA iAmp 300 i played, both through the internal speaker and an aguilar GS-112.

on the other hand, i also played an eden D210XLT with my former rig -- a crown K2 with either a peavey max or ampeg SVP-BSP preamp. while i have enjoyed the sound of eden cabs powered by eden amps, the cab with another amp was not very satisfying. it had its own color that could not be escaped. i preferred my carvin 1x15 w/ tweeter. that cab was rated 300W at 4 Ohms and took all 800W my K2 could give it and never even farted. i don't know why people complain so much about carvin cabinets -- it's their amps i'm not keen on.

anyway, i guess i'd call the eden sound "warm and clean at the same time, but not hi-fi. they definitely have their own color, though it is not as heavy-handed as ampeg or SWR."

robb.