Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you need to tour

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjamintowle, May 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    like what amp set up do you need to tour.like just clubs.the drums are mic for half the gigs and most of the times drums are not mic.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    like an amp that sounds good.like an amp that is loud and works like half the time and is working most of the time. like.

3. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i mean what like typ of cab watt going to them thats what i ment not typ and set up .how much watts

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You need the wattage you need. It depends.

5. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    ok normale size clubs.like loco rock stuff never tour befor and my band is about to like do tours this summer when we not in school

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Oh, that makes it a lot clearer. :confused::rolleyes:

It would help if you could define what sort of gigs you'll be playing. If you're just playing clubs, then they should hopefully have a PA - if this is the case, you'll go through this, and the amp is only needed for your own onstage benefit. If not, then the amp will have to do the work, and you're looking at at least a few hundred watts.

Try to be more specific, and you'll get better responses. I'm afraid that I, and probably no-one else here, have ever heard of Loco before in my life, assuming that that's the sort of club you want to play.

And forgive me if I sound cynical or sneering, but what sort of tour exactly are you going on?

7. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Please DO NOT go on tour this summer. Please take a summer school class and learn how to communicate with the human race.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL, nice!

I rkenc thek dfn 25 mit b fne u.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yah know...you'd think after every thread he starts, then people tell him to work on his comm. skills, his spelling, ect, he's actually DO something about it but no...just keeps on chugging, unintelligible as ever...:rolleyes:

bet thi gone b rel foon figurng wht hez saig

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    me thunx like you shud get like a crte bx15 for like tours. win the drums r mic , are like you mic too?? how much watts are you want?15 is much enuff for tourgn

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i suggest you the less is more theory: a enough powered combo amp and your bass. 100w can be enough, if not start to hit hard and they will enough. it depends on yous bass output too.

12. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

First you need to know the the clubs, do they have a house PA or do you need your own,are you n opening act or headline ? back gear is used most of the time when you open, I use a SWR 750 head and two 4x10 cabs, I also have a SWR 750 back up head, get a amp with head room, you can turn down if you need too. sound systems can cover your bass with a d/i or a mike if you dont have alot of power but its up to the soundman and the system, get road cases for your gear if you play full time, it gets moved alot and it is well worth the cost, and last but not least dont do the soundmans girlfreind if you plan on playing there more then once , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well i'm just gonna write down what i take with me when i go on the road, i have no idea what this dude is asking.

SWR Bass 350 in SKB case
    SWR GJr III
    SWR Triad

Warwick Thumb - in gig bag, but it doesn't ride in the equipment van. it's special.
    Random backup bass - currently my borrowed MIJ P-Bass, normally my Sterling Fretless.

a purse-looking thing that has a bunch of strings, tools, extra cords
    pedal board with pedals and more spare cords

i'm going to be getting a new amp rig (SWR Interstellar Overdrive + Carvin poweramp) but i'm going to take the 350 along all the time as a backup.

the 350 has never been underpowered and i've played lots of big places...

make sure you bring a backup of everything, anything can break at any time.

jason

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yawnsie, you're cracking me up almost as much as ol' benjamin does. I love your constructive, yet stern approach to what is clearly a hopeless case. Keep it up. It keeps me from having to do it.

OK, benjamin. You need a good pre-amp (Eden Navigator, Kern, Ampeg, whatever) so that you can run it through something like a Mackie 2600 power amp. Certainly no less than 1500 watts in the power amp, and at least two 810 cabs, minimum, for your proposed application. When you're going through the PA, you could probably get away with 1000 watts (say, one side of the 2600), and only one 810. I recommend the Eden D-810XLT. They're not cheap, and not light, but you need this cab for decent tone at the power levels you require. Anything less, and you may as well be playing through an SWR Workingman's 10.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFLMAO. Sometimes I just crack myself up.

16. I have had a VERY BADDDD weekend, and you guys are cracking me up. Like, when I get down, and the world is fuzzy, I crank up my Talkbass and my troublez melt away >>>

Later.

17. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Me too. :D

I see that benjaminto edited his original post. What was it like BEFORE he edited it? :eek:

How can someone make it to 15 years of age and be so completely incabable of coherent written communication? Ben, do you TALK like that? I don't get it. God, I hope you're drunk. Or at least congenitally stupid.

Brendan's right though - we gotta quit encouraging this guy until he can post something intelligible. His posts actually seem to be getting WORSE.

Keep playin' though buddy; it's gonna be the only thing that keeps you out of a glorious career in the food service industry.

wud u liek fryse wiffat

18. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    please do not dis the food service industry. without those courageous people working behind the cash register asking if you want frys with that, the world would be forced to eat at fine diners such as furrs and the classic dennys instead of mindlessly diving into a thick juicy soymeat quarter pounder. so next time someone asks you if you would like frys with that, say yes because it is the one thing in that restraunt that you know what it is made out of, hopefully.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Benjamintowle--nex time haf yer momm or dd typ what you like try to say like maybe thn we cud unerstan yo a litl bettr

Well, maybe not. I do get a kick out of reading your posts.

20. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Hmm.. lesse now, how about

a

big

fat

honkin,

:DGIG!:D

no? how about a van, or a tour bus? strings? cable? don't forget the groupies! howsabout songs? or practice, for that matter. oh yeah, you need a club that would let you play!

:D j/k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.