1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you not like about a Mark Bass LMII?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim C, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I know that these are super popular and some day I'll have to try one. There are 5 for sale right now (in a row!) on the forum.

What do people not like about these amps?
    Understood that some get sold for funds to try something new.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only bad thing I can say about the LMII is it's not an actual all-tube amp.

3. There is nothing I dislike about LM2,aside from no choice of pre/post EQ line out issue.

All the new Markbass stuff is coming out.New bells and whistles.People with money are getting the GAS again for something new.Hence all the used LM2.

Being consistantly broke,I'll have mine till it dies!:crying:

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not a fan of them, but I wouldn't read anything into the fact that five are at the top of the Amps For Sale forum right now. It's just a snapshot in time. And there are a lot of things up for sale right now; a lot of folks need the cash.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Easy fix by opening it up and switching a jumper.

6. Yeah,mines in a combo tho. Will probably wait till the warranty expires.Its not a big deal actually,as I EQ is flat about 99% of the time.

7. i just cant get comfortable with the sound of them. not growly enough i must add:ninja:

8. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The yellow/black attack. I didn't like Stryper the FIRST time around

9. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I love mine, very reliable and very light , like 100 watts to the pound. That being said, I do agree a more advanced eq would be nice, as well as a mute switch.( Come all ready you idiots, put a mute on your amps! My cheapest home stereo has one!) I also have a cheap art tube pre I run in front of it along with a tech21 vt pedal for the growl. All in all I am very happy with mine.

10. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I haven't had mine long enough to find any thing that I don't like about it. I'm still getting used to it but I really like it a lot. I don't miss a mute button, heck that's what a master volume is for. Takes the same effort to engage a mute as it does to turn it down... A VT pedal in the front might be interesting a little later. I think that with all the new Markbass amps coming out you'll be able to get an LMII very reasonably priced very soon. Even a new one. Which is what I'd recommend. Get the warranty and the 3-year swap-out policy from G/C. Can't beat that with a stick.
    )-(

11. :D:D:D:D:D

12. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas

13. Not much TO dislike- made well, sound great light, powerful, reliable...........
    But.. being PICKY
    1. Pre/post OPTION made easy!!!
    2. Mute switch -or lack of
    3. No TV included

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Had mine for two years (almost) and can honestly say it's the best amp I've owned.
    Bought it for the way it sounds not the way it looks.
    Mute button would be nice, but I'm resourceful enough to work around that.
    More complex EQ section IMO is not needed because I keep the EQ knobs at noon and the tone controls off anyway. Sometimes I roll off some low end in boomy rooms.
    pre/post eq on direct out? I kind of like it the way it is. Plus I can get one over on most soundmen by playing dumb. Pre/post EQ? Duh, I dunno... ther's no switch so it must just be the normal way...:confused: Then just smile when the compliments about the tone of the amp come from the soundman after the gig.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You've got to be kidding. There have been zillions of these sold. There are fewer LMII's for sale than DB750's!!!!!

Also, the LMII has just been discontinued, and the LMIII is shipping. Hundreds and hundreds of LMII's sold, and five for sale used, with the new model just starting to ship, and you put up a thread saying 'what is wrong with these' after dozens of threads and literally thousands of posts if you do a search indicating the massive love for these heads?!?!?!?!?

When my brand new shiny LMTube800 arrives, I will probably also sell my LMII after loving it totally and using it as my primary gigging head for close to two years:smug::D:bag:

To answer your specific question. Based on the zillions of customer reviews and posts on TB, here is the list of things that current LMII customers thought could be improved if a new model came out:

1) Power amp limiting hits a little hard when pushed at 8ohms
    2) Bass and treble EQ points are a bit wide for some
    3) A more fully featured DI with external pre/post switch and level control would be nice
    and
    4) Mute switch would be cool.

1 to 3 have all been addressed in the LMIII. 4 has additionally been addressed in the new LMTube, along with a separate volume control for the XLR in, and the XLR in now being a combo jack allowing for a second 1/4: input. Nice!

Also, a very few had indicated they would like more power.... and.... here comes the LM800!

And finally, the LMII is a clean machine. Some loved the size, power and quality, but wanted more tube feel and tone.... and.... here comes the LMTube and LMTube800!

16. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    The Markbass stuff could be the best sounding bass gear on the planet and I still would not buy it for the way it looks.

I hated the way Trace Elliot looked too with those cheesy green graphics.

17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    No, I put up a thread saying what don't you like about these

18. Boogie.Man

Boogie.Man

Apr 9, 2009
    I had one for three weeks. IMHO, it was better than most other amps in its price range. And I actually loved the yellow color. But I thought the sound was a little to sterile with my Music Man Sterling. I returned it and bought a Mesa. For me, the Mesa has a much fuller and richer sound with my Sterling. I could have happily settled for a MarkBass if Mesa didn't exist.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes, it's always good to remember that its about looks, not sound.