Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you pick?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by godspeed68, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Penny

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Nickel

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Dime

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Quarter

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Fingers baby!

47 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure it's all happened to pick-players in the past. You run out of/don't have a pick....what piece of change do you use???

As I never play with picks...I always have pennies on hand. :cool:

tOm

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I can play equally well with either a pick or my fingers...so if I lose a pick, I'll just play using my fingers. No big deal.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    if i must have the picked sound. i'll typically just play with my fingernail. i can play guitar that way just about as well as i can with a pick.

4. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Doesn't it change the sound of your bass? Metal on Metal?

5. FINGERNAIL!!! Do you use some top secret marykay stuff to beef up your nails? 1. mine would bend/break 2. I don't think I've ever had a nail long enough to pick a string with.:D

6. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Fingernail here. I hate the sound of metal picks, and quarters feel funny to me as picks, too. I'm actually not much of a fingerstyle player, but I can do about 90% of my picking stuff with a fingernail.

7. Billy Gibbons is famous for using a peso as a pick. Curt Kirkwood from the Meat Puppets plays with a quarter.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The only time I would ever worry about needing a pick is if I was playing guitar.

9. I hate the sound of metal picks so much I use plastic fingerpicks on steel guitar...and it is darn hard to find plastic finger picks. I don't normally use a pick on bass, but if I absolutely had to I would probably find something other than a piece of metal...perhaps cut a piece of plastic or wood to shape.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Recently I went back to playing with a pick...just for the fun of it. I like the sound...and it's fun playing it differently.

Though it wouldn't matter if I had a pick or not. Either way is fine with me.

11. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    man, thats a lot of work! I was posin' the scenario of...you broke your last one...you look over on your dresser, and theres some change. but cuttin wood or plastic? damn! thats dedication!

tOm

12. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  13. I almost gave my guitar-playing friend a heart attack once when I used a quarter on his Ovation acoustic. That was the last time I ever touched his guitar...I don't see what the big deal is.

14. If a pick player could pick picks
    which pick would a pick player pick
    a pick player would pick all the picks
    if a pick player could pick picks.

ummmm, :bag: Fingers

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can't use a pick for my life on a bass, and I can't use my fingers for my life on the geetar...

16. Break a piece off of your pickguard!
    Use the plastic thing off of bread, hot dog buns.
    Credit card, bank card, etc.
    Once playing in a crust punk band I used a broken beer bottle shard and got cut up pretty bad.
    I usually carry lots of picks with me, I keep about 3 bags at home and always keep 5 in my wallet, 3 in my pocket.

17. I'm primarily a pick player. I keep one in my wallet, a bunch in my car, a bunch in each case. I try really hard not to be without one. I will use my fingers if I HAVE to, I'm just better with a pick.

18. If it were Bass, I'd probably just make it work with my fingers. However, this has happened to me a couple times when I play a guitar gig. I'm much more likely to carry a pick than any kind of change, so when I find myself without either, I usually fold up a piece of paper or some kind of credit card type deal.