Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you play bass for?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Are you in it for sex, drugs and rock&roll? Is it the best tool to express yourself musically? Did you hear Spinal Tap's "Big Bottoms" and just never looked back?

Me? I want fame and fortune. Don't get me wrong I love playing and creating music, but hey, regular jobs suck!

I want to hear why you play bass, so post up!

2. I want to be on a large venue stage, with real talent, and a band of friends, talented musicians.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I play bass for me...... everything else is secondary...

P@

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    It's always been about the power factor. When you're up there and the stage is rumbling with every note you know you've made the right decision. Guitarists can't compete with that...
    And having hotties straddle your monitors and getting off while you're thumping out low Bs in a Coal Chamber song ain't too shabby either :eek:

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I play for fun.

Thats my definition of fun.

Peace
    Nick

6. Yup.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    At last... blatant honesty!! :D

-robert

8. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Playing bass is a urge for me,it something bigger than me;I can't controll it;it is something spiritual and physical at the same time;it is the most important thing,the first one;it is my life......I could go on,and on,and on....:) :) :)

9. I'm playing bass because... Well, it's fun and addictive :)

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Man, are you going to be sorely dissapointed.

I play because I love it. Everything about it. the sound, the feel, every note.

11. I play because my love of music can only be satisfied by playing an instument and bass is the most satisfing, the feeling of being on stage and playing in front of people is just awesome (though I'm not in a band I have been on stage with some friends), fame will be nice, and fortune is always great, jobs suck if they are not something you want to do. though my job isn't to bad it's hard work but good pay, benifits and I don't deal with costumers
    :D

12. Because I quit once and became extremely bored and unhappy, rather than because I really enjoy playing the instrument.

I know, I know; that's a crap reason. But there you go.

13. Pacman- I don't expect to be dissapointed.

I know it is alot of hard work and a long shot, but I have high goals and I will reach them. You just have to know what you want and don't let anything stand in your way. Fortunately I live in a 'hot spot' for musical talent and there seems to be a shortage of good bass players at the moment. Hell I turned down a spot in a band that was being courted by a number of major US lables. So I'm not in it soley for $$$. Next in line is setting up auditon with a band that has the same managment team as Nelly Furtado. Even have a good refrence from a band under the same managment singed to major.

SOOOoo, I play bass for ME, hoping that it will put ME behind the wheel of a ferrari! :p :D

14. There is always a demand for a good bass player, never for a guitarists. Hey, somebody's gotta do it.

15. For every reason already mentioned...fun, fame, love of the instrument, love of the music, the onstage rumble... There is nothing like feeding off the energy of a great crowd.

...groupies would be nice too...

16. lol...that too, at the moment. :rolleyes: