Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you play when you have a new bass in your hand?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by daniel, Aug 27, 2000.

1. daniel

daniel

Mar 20, 2000
    Hi to all, I have a question, as you may know I am working on my own self made bass, (see the forum: basses)
    When it is done, what do you all play? I mean, if you goto the shop and you choose a bass, what do you play then?
    Do you have some tips on getting some notes in a nice order, to create a nice hearing song? Or just by feeling?

This is for me a help, when I know that I have made a good bass that sounds correct ;)

thanks again, greetings from Rotterdam,
    daniel

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, when I try something out, I start with the opening lick from "Lady" by Beck, Bogert and Appice. Then I go into "Gee, Baby Ain't I Good to You" (gives good definition, and you can see how the strings sound together). Maybe "Pump It Up" from Elvis Costello. After that, I just dink around.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I play some scale up and down the neck...but somehow...I always end up playing "Sunshine of Your Love"...:)

4. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I dont see what this has to do with recordings but......
    I play the origanals that me and My buddy/guitarist wrote.
    Lets me know how it feels, and sounds, and helps me relate the sound/feel to the stuff I would posibly be using the bass for.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well said, JHMAVRO. I'll move this thread to Miscellaneous in a day or two. (I always wait because the new board won't leave a locked copy behind like the old one).

I play a general jazz progression, my arrangement of "What a wonderful world" and a slap groove I like.

Will C.:cool:

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    revelations-iron maiden
    angie-the stones

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Depending on what I'm trying out usually I just noodle away Maybe some Louise Johnson licks something by the Chili Peppers, The lemon song by Zep.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i just noodle around, play a little bit of portrait of tracy, play some of my band's songs, the beginning section of "a chick from corea" off of bass extremes, but mostly just noodle around.

9. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm waiting for someone to admit that they're the one who plays wacky, clacky slap licks. :)

Ahem, no, I am not that person!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I do sometimes try a bit of "Portait of Tracy" - because it gives you a good idea of how well the harmonics work on the bass. Some basses I've tried - this just doesn't work at all - even allowing for dull strings I think this can give you a good idea.

Otherwise, I usually try not to play anything recognisable, as this can elicit groans in shops no matter what and I try to keep focused on testing the bass rather than getting involved with other's expectations of whether you're a good player or not. Sometimes I can feel "competitive" things happening in shops and will deliberately not play any "licks" to avoid this. Just play long notes, slowly comparing sounds on each string at each fret, with every possible combination of tone/selector controls .

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ..."Smoke On The Water".

:D :D :D

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    What? No "Stairway??" Denied!

I pretty much do what Bruce does, which makes me look like a dufus (sorry, Bruce). I'll sit there and just play an the open strings and fiddle with the settings til I get it figured out. Yes, I will slap some, mainly just to see if the bass is suited for it, and not to excess. And when I finally get comfortable, it's "Smooth" by Santana, or maybe the intro to STP's "Interstate Love Song" (I know, I know).

THEN "Smoke on the Water." :D

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, Lump, there's nothing wrong with using those songs! They're pretty good templates for running a bass through the paces. Actually, I think that Rob Deleo (?) has some really nice melodic things going on for STP>

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, exactly my reason too. it's amazing how much you can tell about the pickups and tone of the instrument by how the harmonics come out, regardless of amplifier.

when i slap on it, i tend to only do a few notes, just to hear the tone of the slap sound, usually slow. i will tend to slap open strings then slap fretted notes and compare the response.

15. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    gweimer,

Yeah, I'm a sucker for STP. Robert DeLeo is no Jaco, but I think he does a good job for that type of music. And I think he's more important to the band than that idiot Scott Weiland.

And I completely forgot my walking test - "Bouree'" by Jethro Tull.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...dude, I'm a little miffed! I gave you a couple of walking line thingees over at AB! :D

17. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    JimK,

Be not miffed, my friend. I've actually been working on some of that stuff, but I don't have anything memorized. And forgive me for not thanking you for the feedback on "Funk theory" - I got kinda distracted during the "Off Topic" brouhaha (I can't believe I managed to stay out of that mess).

And as for the Tull, I still have a "Best of" songbook I bought 20 years ago that I pulled the line out of. It makes me sound like I know what I'm doing (and is less annoying than "Moondance").:) The solo in that song sure sucks though...:D

---------------------
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

18. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i usually start off with money by pink floyd just because its so simple its easy to compare from one instrument to the next, then i'll play some scales everywhere on the fretboard to check for general evenness, then i break out the jaco (or at least my best jaco impression, lol)- usually slang- to tap into all it's possibility.

I tried building a bass, but not from scratch, from spare parts, and it failed miserably mostly from crappy pickups, so i donated it to a school, lol.

I wanna try one from scratch though, it'll be much better, and i'll invest in new pickups this time, lol.

JP

19. All : Scales up and down the neck
    Then:
    Fretless basses - "The Rose" by Urban Knights
    Fretted basses - "Tutu" by Marcus Miller (ALWAYS), then whatever the instrument inspires me to play.

Yea, I try not to get into the ego thang at the music shop (My repertoire wouldn't impress anyone anyway). I just want to hear if the thing growls or not, how it feels, whether the frets are right. And it don't take too much fiddling to figure that out.

I was in Mars on time, just doing my thang, and some guy comes in, plugs in, cranks his amp, and plays the theme from the "Lone Ranger". Wildest, coolest thing I ever heard.

Later.

20. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Well, I start off playing a 3 note slap and pop riff, i do this for about 3 hours..... j/k, actually I just go through a few scales across the neck, get a pick out and play a few riffs from some of my bands songs(simple but fast) then I slap a few notes, but im too poor to actualy buy anything I look at.

-ChronicPain