1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you play when you try?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Eadlef, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Eadlef

Eadlef

Jun 7, 2014
    Sweden
    Hey, I'm just wondering if any of you guys has any standard songs or scales that you play when you're testing out a new bass. It always feels so awkward to grab a bass and don't know what to play. I'm looking for something that doesn't embarrass me and still gives me the most sound potential of the instrument.

Thanks!

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Never mind what to play.......just slap the hell out of it !!!! ;)

Heads for cover !!!!

3. Well if I'm trying a fiver I usually give the B string a few plucks to make sure I like the tension. Beyond that, I usually play RHCP's Apache Rose Peacock, or Rush's Vital Signs, or some RATM song.

4. Eadlef

Eadlef

Jun 7, 2014
    Sweden
    It feels like those songs is enough. Right now I mainly play Griffins Spike by Buckethead, but IDK. :/

5. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Aeroplane by the Chili Peppers. Has a mixture of slap and finger style; intro is played on the high frets; features vibrato. What more do you want?

6. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    If I am seriously shopping I play every fret on every string looking for a serious dead spot. Then I play Jeff Becks Freeway Jam and I'll Take You There by the Staples Singers and So What by Miles.

Those things will tell me all I need to know.

7. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Are you currently in a band?
    Do you write songs?
    The obvious choice is to play your parts from a song you will perform.

8. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Teen Town by Jaco, major scales ascending and descending the neck by half steps, and The Lemon Song.

9. I play Seek and Destroy. Or anything else I know backwards and forwards. I know how it should sound, so I know if I like the bass.

10. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    chromatic scale; all fret, all notes...slowly...and 12th fret notes (harmonic and fretted).. :D

INTP and kzr750r1 like this.
  11. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Minor pentatonic blues scale, then usually a few songs i know, Soul To Squeeze, Sweet Child O'Mine, and other songs that start with "S".

12. I play Cream's Sunshine of Your Love, a blues line in E, some ZZ top, and the bass line from Orbison's Pretty Woman. I may throw in the bass line from Soul Man. This achieves two things:

1) It gives me a good idea what the bass will do and what it sounds like;
    2) It weirds out all the kids doing slappity-ponkitty stuff elsewhere in the room. They're not used to hearing real music.

13. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Heart of the Sunrise, by Yes. It goes all the way up and down the fretboard, to check for buzzing, and allows me the chance to see if there's a good anchor for the meat of my picking hand.

14. I pick it up, play the same noodling stuff I play at home when I first pick up the bass. It’s not a performance but MarloweDK on youtube has a heap of cool little grooves you can smash out so it at least appears that you know your way around a bass.

Then I play every note on the fretboard, no idea what I am listening for, but I make a few unhappy faces. Look down the neck, then ask for a few hundred bucks off because of “deadspots” and “sharp frets” and how much its going to cost me to get "my guy" to set it properly. I hope the teenage sales guy knows as little as I expect. Gives the impression that you may not be the best player, but you are the most discerning shopper and expect quality and value.

If you need to show off, then I go for the run in Sir Duke.

signboy likes this.
  15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Generally it's "I'll Take You There", "Who's Makin' Love", "White Room", "Badge", "Thank You (Falletin Me Be Mice Elf Again)" and every fret/string combination.

John

16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I just improv and what comes out is what comes out. I rarely play specific songs if I'm trying out an instrument.

17. signboy

signboy

May 24, 2014
    I know what sound I want. I play a couple open strings mostly to check the low B and preamp at flat, a few fretted notes, and some kind of "on-the-spot" groove to get the feel of the neck/spacing etc.

The bonus is that salesmen don't treat you like the standard store-wanker. Oddly enough, I've never ended up with a bass that I disliked later.

18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I've written songs trying out basses & guitars--so I just play chords, riffs, etc--and sometimes noodle.

But when I pick up a bass I almost always have to play the riff to Not Fragile by BTO.

19. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama
    A run thru a series of riffs to test out a lot of the techniques that I use as well getting a feel for the neck at the lower and higher registries.

Main riff King Nothing
    Main riff Schism
    Intro My friend of Misery
    Intro The Clairvoyant

20. I do the beginning of peace sells by megadeth, or caught in a mosh by anthrax, or just the minor or major scale