What do you practice daily?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jguitarj, Apr 2, 2003.

1. jguitarj

Oct 4, 2002
    Hey guys! Im asking everone this to get ideas about practicing.

I usually practice about 3 hours a day if I can. Here is my regimen and I use a Metronome.

1) Scales and Modes
    2) Arpeggios
    3) hexatonics and Speed runs
    5) Improvisation
    6) Sight Reading

Just wondering what you guys do to develop and keep up your chops.

My Personal Website
  2. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I wish I had 3 hours a day to practice.
    I practice maybe a half hour a day. I should have a regimented schedule, but I dont.:(
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    HAHA... my "Regiment" is based on however I feel that day. Usually I do some scales, messa round with some of my band's material, slap out some excercises for a bit, do a littel sight reading, and then justscrew arounda nd improv until I get hungry or somethin..haha. I play around 1-2 hours a day i'd say:)
  4. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    i just do what ever i feel like doing..some bad days ill just do songs cuz im not in the mood for actual practice
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ear training takes up the majority of my practice lately: learning songs by ear and interval recognition. I spend about an hour and a half on that each day, with some days spending a little more time.

I also work on:

- Site Reading (I have notes down pretty much so I try to focus on positioning because I have difficulty going from low notes on the fretboard to higher notes smoothly.)

- Chords and Scales, working with the metronome to improve my "groove"

- I'm working through Gary Willis' "Fingerboard Harmony For Bass" book once again to get a better understanding of the concepts in it.

- Composition

- Walking Bass and Improv

- I also focus on technique, proper body position, etc, while I'm practicing. Also a focus on making my playing less sloppy and more smooth.
  6. 1-3 hours a day...I try for...I need to get some tab books because I am not able to get on the computer as much:meh: (evil evil brother)

But I usually just practice some riffs im learning,play some old riffs I don't wanna forget,and maybe play the 2-3 songs I can play w/ a CD and I'll just play...take a 5 min break then go back at it...Im also gonna try to learn how to play well w/o looking (basically get well w/ my fretboard work)

...also speed would be good.

7. jguitarj

Oct 4, 2002
    Hello guys! There is another exercise that I do before gigs and it definitely helps to get your fingers ready for a performance.

I found this book with all these awesome patters. Its called "Guitar Fitness." the exersice focuses on finger independence.

8. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    maybe us bass players are just lazy......But I just jam alot. As for a regiment, thats crazy. Music is a way of life, Its hard to practice when you cant feel the karma. I usally chill and get in the zone and jam....Play songs, play my songs, make stuff up. Maybe you guitar players are more regular about it.....
  9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I play chromatic stuff. And scales..
    I also try to learn something new, and not just bass lines.
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I tend to practice for right about 30mins before school & then 1-2hrs after. In the morning usually i'll run through a few major scales, do some thirds, and then practice my lesson material. At home it's usually work on the charts for the next gig/performance. Other than that it mainly varies with what day and how i feel at the time. Thats all
  11. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea that's pretty much what I do. I try to work on my solos and walking jazz lines alot. Ear training is something I should practice, but I'm too lazy.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I play along to CDs. Today I played the whole "Maze: Live in New Orleans" CD.
  13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Due to not enough time to spend in the shed, and almost bi-polar mood swings in music, I don't have a great everyday practice routine.
    The only thing I play everyday is a 60 second jazz type thing I wrote. The purpose of which is to totally show off the range of a five string and different playing techniques - two hand tap, chords and double stops strummed in various ways - often times strummed way out over the finger board for softer tone, finger style, fast runs - a total stylistic wank. I wrote it and then spent months learning to play it without screwing it up. If I play it perfect it'll make peoples jaws drop - if I don't absolutely nail it, it sounds like crap. I make myself play it everytime I want a cigarette and if I don't nail it - no cigerette and back to the top.