What do you practice?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Spearhead, May 20, 2002.

1. Im wondering what you guys do every day to practice. On other words what routines do you go through every time you sit down to play bass. Every day I like to run through the modes of the major, melodic and harmonic minor scales. Then I try to do double octaves (ascending and descending of each) and If I can get around to it I try to do 3, 4, and 5 note coils as well as my scale tone thirds up to 13ths. I do all the excercises sequentially according to the cricle of fifths (c, g, d, a etc.). I also use a metronome for everything and I keep the bpm the same two days in a row and practice one day with my fretted and the next with my fretless and only then do I raise the bpm. I only recently started doing this because I really want to start doing some serious practice and although I dont always adhere to it I keep it pretty close. Another reason I did it is because I find that learning other peoples music doesnt get me very far or at least as far as I want to go. So what are your practice routines.
  2. maj scales down the fretboard then ocassionally some slap practice... otherwise im trying to find grooving tones to go together.....
  3. I play my bass about once every two or three days. I don't really practice. I just kinda slap and wank for a while, then I put it up.
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    My practice routine generally follows this pattern:

1) Scales/modes
    2) Sight reading
    3) Transcribing a song or playing a previously transcribed song (the latter usually goes hand-in-hand with sight reading.)
    4) Coming up with ideas and/or arranging originals for my band.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Personally, I don't run down the scales, though I probably should (and likely will eventually).

My practice mainly consists of practicing different styles of music each night, studying and then playing along with selected music. One night I'll play jazz, another night I'll study & play some funk lines (last night I worked on the old "Coffey" soundtrack, for example), and then another night I'll play bluegrass. Doing this allows me to avoid getting stuck in creative ruts by forcing me to not get too comfortable with a certain style of groove.

I also practice with a drum machine. This really helps me to practice groove lines, solos, slapping, tapping, sliding, etc.

Finally, after 22+ years, I am going back and re-teaching myself how to read music properly (I've played by ear for so many years, that I fell out of practice) as well as studying theory in general(jazz theory, etc).
  6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I normally jsut play along with songs on my CD player, but once a week id record myself playing a new line i have made. I really have to change my practise patterns because im not learning much :(

So i guess i got alot of theory, scales and reading in front of me in the not-to-distant future.
  7. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I practise a lot of scale based things, then chromatic stuff to give my right and left hands a good workout. I occasionally jam with CDs, instructional videos/CDs. Focus on particular techniques that I'm trying to get down. Lastly, I just play some grooves.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I usually try to set up 1 1/2 hours to practice everyday. It usually goes over though, as I oddly like to practice. :D This also doesn't include learning any cover songs for my band or anything. Sometimes I have to break it up in parts over the course of the day do to whatever I might have to do.

I always start off with a scale. I usually work on one particular scale over and over for a couple of weeks until I know it like the back of my hand. Right now, I'm on G major. I usually do 1 and 2 octave runs of the scale. I play it the "short way" and the "long way". I go through scalar runs. I run through the modes ect.

Then the other hour is spent on working on one of two techinques, skills, theory, ect. Right now, I'm working through a Bach Cello suite, which I hope to have complete by next work. I work on slapping, tapping, theory, walking, chords, playing with a pick, basically anything else I think I need work on.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  10. Old Ell

Old Ell

Feb 24, 2002
    St. Paul, MN
    I usually practice scales for awhile, then I usually make up some riffs, then a little playing to music. Pretty mcuh it. I should probably practice more, but meh.