Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you prop your cab up with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Oct 15, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    If you have a smaller cabinet, say a 2x12 or 1x15, what do you guys use (if anything) to prop up the front of the cab so it more directly faces you when you're up playing?? I'm sure I could throw just any piece of wood painted black, and it'd work fine, but just curious as to how high or whatnot so your head or rack doesn't fall off.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    The cover of my Super Redhead.

SWR...always thinking. :)

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Some people just take the two rear casters off. YMMV.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I used to use the front cover of my Grundorf 4 space, but my SKB 6's is just too big and it sticks out and looks funny. :)

But I'll try it again, I guess...

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I've used a metal milk crate (raises it up about a foot off the floor) -- did this with Nemesis NC210-P combo and Bergantino HT322 cab -- & I've removed rear casters to tilt back -- HT322.
    My Schroeder 410 sounds best on the floor and seems to be plenty audible even standing right in front of it -- if there's some weird sound issues, I can turn the 410 on its side where the angled part of the baffle is angled upwards (if you can't hear it this way, you've lost your hearing -- might take your head off it can get so loud).

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i take the rear casters off my Bergantino HT310 .
    i also covered a piece of wood 1" x 2" x 18"long {with the same material as the cabinet is covered with } , and screwed it to the rear top of the cab .
    this keeps my rack mounted amp from sliding off ... looks factory installed , and it works great ...:cool:

8. Another Cab.
    I was using 2 aggie 112's. For boomy rooms I would stack them up on one end of a 4 wheel dolly which would also slightly angle them upwards. But, I have recently topped the rig off w/a LDS 2x8. It may seem like overkill but I can hear A LOT better when addt'l sound is coming from 4 1/2 ft high as opposed to 3 1/2 ft. From further away it sounds fuller not necessarily louder. Another benefit was it increased the amp's power output by lowering the total ohmage (safely w/in the amps specs).

9. jefframm

jefframm Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Atlanta
    It's essentially a heavy duty foam wedge that has little "steps" in it to allow different angles. I never get that complicated with it, as I jam the whole thing under one of my Berg HT112's and make that one kind of a monitor cabinet, while i point the other cab out to the audience.

You can see them at www.ampwedge.com. They're a little pricey by made quite well and leave no mark on the cabinet.

Hope that helps....

10. Since our church does all the songs on powerpoint, we use the hymnals to prop up our cabinets! :)

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm old school, I use the milk crate I use for carrying my cables and other junk to the gig. Nothing is wasted :hyper:

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Prop it up using one of the drummers many bags of "what not" when he's not looking. Or the singers $500 purse. Or the guitar players spare box of 9 volt batteries. :smug:

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I set my 2-10 cabinet on an old piano stool. Also eliminates the boominess caused from sitting a cabinet on a wooden stage.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I use these rubber wheel chocks I got from the trailer store. They are stepped and made of dense rubber. Or, just pile up Gramma pads.

15. After i set everything up I roll up my gigbag and put it under the front of my cab. It tilts it just enough.

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My amp goes in a two-space rack box, and the lid makes a good prop in a pinch. Not hugely stable, but I've never had it fall over, and it's easy to adjust the angle. :)

17. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    yeah I had a lovely stand but one day it broke, in the middle of a pit gig and it nearly rolled down into the bottom of the pit (the pit was raised slightly). i felt like a total prat cos i'd been banging on about how cool my stand was and how useful. pretty sour.

these days I use a chair and a bit of 2X4" labeled 'dodges bit of tech'. does the job much better than than the stupid stand anyway!!!

dodge

18. I've got one of those too...and they work very well. Nice and solid.