Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you reccomend??????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Ok, here's the deal. I'm going to be playing in small-medium sized clubs (up to 300 people, sometimes with PA) and i don't know what size/power of amplifier to get. I can spend around 300-500 bucks and i'm probably going to get a combo. I'm also gonna use it to rehearse.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you have a PA system, you only need an amp onstage for monitoring purposes. Then 50W is enough. If you don't have a PA, playing medium sized clubs, I believe around 300W would give you enough power. After all, you don't want the audience to lose their hearing on your gigs - they'll definitely won't come back to see you again! ;)

A common rule of thumb is 3-4 times the wattage of the guitar amps. If they play with 100W amps, 300-400W is required for bass for still being audible with some amount of headroom. If they play at half volume, or turn the knobs to 10 on 50-watters, 150-200 watts will do. With too much power, you can always turn down if you're too loud, but with too little power, you can't go any higher than max!
    (Iyou choose to combine a head and cabs rather than a combo, get a fairly efficient cab, I'd say a sensitivity of 100 dB minimum... lower efficiency = lower volume per watt.)

Getting that amp in your price range calls for checking the USED amps' market. Don't expect to get the sound in your dreams with such cheap gear... but for live situation, noone really cares except you and fellow bass players... Just make it rrrumble! :)

You should keep in mind that my words are no law, there are many players who don't agree with the above mentioned...

Good luck!

And oh, fill out your profile!

[Edited by Oysterman on 11-26-2000 at 04:34 PM]

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In the price range you are looking for, I would look for a used Ampeg BA115 or B100, used SWR Workingmans 15 or used Peavey TNT.

These are all 3 very loud amps for the amount of wattage that they put out, with the Ampegs being the loudest(and least watts, believe it or not!), the Peavey 2nd, and the SWR, which claims 160 watts, the lowest in volume among these three.

The SWR has fair approximation of the SWR hifi sound that makes the pro series very popular, and will allow you to add an extension cabinet, and also has a XLR output.

The Ampeg has that classic Ampeg tone and is the lightest in the group.

The Peavey will be the cheapest if these 3, but make sure you get one with a Black Widow(BW) speaker, Peavey's other speakers are crap IMHO. OH - and if you decide on the Peavey, it weighs almost 100 lbs, so line up a volume discount with a good chiropractor ;).

There are lots of other used combos out there in this price range, these are 3 of the more common ones, and also the 3 loudest and most durable(IMHO, of course).

Whatever you decide, make sure that you play YOUR bass through it, and make sure that YOU like the tone, don't worry about what others think.