Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you recomend for a CHEEP bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tam82083, Jan 25, 2001.

1. tam82083

tam82083

Jan 25, 2001
    Lets see i've got my bass like 3 weeks ago, i was wondering what you guys would reomend for a newbie to buy amp wise. I'm looking at the range of sub 60. i have a squier affinity p-bass, if it matters with matching the amp. Also what length cable would i need? and what kind of cable? dude i'm soo lame hehe =)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're not lame. We all had to walk before we could run.

The "sub 60" thing. You mean under $60? If so, it ain't gonna happen as far as a reco goes. You'll be lucky to find one in the want ads under 60 bucks. Your local music stores often have little practice amps laying around for people to use when trying out guitars. Usually, they'll part with these if you make a decent offer. Same for the cable too. Or try http://www.georgels.com/cable.html

In the mean time, work/save/work/save/work/save->->->buy an amp you'll like.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    My first bass amp was, believe it or not, a Gorilla. I liked that amp. It was called a Bass 30 (I think) but somewhere I read that it put out 50w of power. Maybe on ebay. But anyways, I liked the sound on it. It has a line out jack which is cool it you get a 4-track later. Also it's not too heavy and should cost you about $75 used.

G'Luck!

4. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I purchased a Hartke B60 in December from Music123.com and paid $219 for it. I'm very happy with it, nice tone, great EQ for an amp in its class.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

An amp going "CHEEP" ? That would have to be one with a tweeter! :)

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If you are not in a band yet, practice without amplification. OK its a bit rattly but you will hear it in your bedroom. Do save save part of Rickbass's equation and get the best amp possible. Look at private ads in local papers, pawn shops etc.

I joined a band before I could play or had a bass and had to borrow the bass and amp sometimes from different people
    it was a lot of effort but worth it.

7. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    If you have a little boombox that you can plug a mic into, use that to practice with. Not good, but it works for a while.

8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    My first bass amp was a small fender frontman 15b.. You can get it for probably around $75 and it's sturdy and quite loud for it's size..

9. tam82083

tam82083

Jan 25, 2001
    rats i think i'm just going to have to work till i get the cash

10. The Peavey MicroBass is an excellent beginner's amp that costs about $130 brand new. It was rated the best in its class by Bass Player.

John

11. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I second the Microbass. It is a very good value. If you have a stereo with a tuner you can get a 'wireless' fm for 30 bucks that is good to practice with.

12. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    There are a few amps within that price range. Very few, but there are some. First of all, I've seen Rogue amps all over for relatively cheap an I'm sure there is something at http://www.musicyo.com for under $100. Of course saving up might be the wisest decision.......

13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    That's probably the best way to go. I just bought my first new amp yesterday after years of getting used ones. The used amps always sounded good and if you spend around $200, you will get a good quality amp.

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone

Good one!

Seriously though, I hear good things about the Peavey MicroBass.