Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you recommend for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Nov 22, 2003.

1. 4x10 + 1x15 = Shake the walls, forget your back!

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 2x10 + 1x15 = Small but mighty works for me!

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Keep your cab, fool, buy a cart or something!

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Other....

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    When I began in my band setting (Classic Rock Cover Band), I fell in love with my current rig which is a Ampeg B-2 Amp, 350 Watts SS @ 4 Ohms, into my current cabinet, SVT-410 HLF, 4 OHM cab.

WHen I never had to transport the cab, I didn't mind that is weighed 110 Lbs and large dimensions of 30 H x 24 W x 19 D.

Now that we have our first gig coming up, I had to take the beast home with me. It doesn't fit in the trunk, so I have to squeeze it into my little 4-door Ford Focus. Then, I have to lug it down the steps myself to get it into the basement. By the end, my back is sore!!

So, I am considering making my rig "more modular" as a trade off the the low frequency response my ported cab provided at 48 Hz - 18 kHz with a useable low (-10dB) of 28 Hz. I don't play five string, so this is lower than I need anyway. I would like to stick with AMpeg Cabs...

So my question is based on this, which rig would you go for? The 4x10 or 2x10 paired with a 15?

From what I have been reviewing specs wise, there is no difference other than total surface area you get with the 410 versus the 210. Otherwise, frequency response, sensitivity, spl, are all similar.

Also wieght - 410 (91 lbs), 210 (60 Lbs), 15 (72 Lbs). ALso, I can tansport about 60 Lbs comfortable since I weighed my SWR WM 12 and thats what it ways.

Recommendations and Suggestions Warranted! Thanks

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The SVT-410HLF has the reputation to be one of the best cabs Ampeg ever built.

I'd say buy a small chariot. That's what I did for my B-100R.

3. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    The pain is the ass part is getting the cab up and down stairs.

what do you recommend there?

It has a handle in the back, but I found that I have to stoop and bend over fierce to keep it from scratching as it goes down the steps.

4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, there are excellent cabs at Ashdown, they are light and not very expensive (especially the MAG range).

Ampeg also makes Portabass cabs, they are VERY light but I don't know how they sound.

Finally, if you don't play below low-E, you should double check if you really need two cabs. Maybe a 2x10 cab would be enough.

Cheers,
    JL

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    just dont take it down stairs :D buy a smaller amp to use at homw to practice and use your 410 for gigs. leave it in your garage or somewhere convenient.

6. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I do have a practice WOrkingmans 12 combo. I put the cab downstairs b/c I am afraid of what weather might do to it if I leave it in the garage environment. The temperature fluctuates a lot in there, so I am afraid of what it might do to the speakers and the wood.

ANd, my girl would FLIP if I left it upstairs!! :D

7. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Tried portabass stuff. Good for small gigs or not so loud situations like a jazz or acoustic gig. The head is 250 Watts and the Cabs can't take much more than that power.

So, it wouldn't be loud enough for me.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    check out the ashdown 4 x 8's and 1 x 10's.

they make a killer stack, and imo soudn much tighter and stronger than the 410 and 115

9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sell the girl.
    :D

10. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

I use two aguilar GS-112s, a handle in each hand, EVERYWHERE. if I need any more, Iv'e got the DI. Like the Ampeg SVT410Hlf, there is an abundance of very low bass meant to be used tastefully. It shadows the mids, so I turn it down. Consider a pair.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do a lot of stretching if/until you get a new rig...

12. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

I use two aguilar GS-112s, a handle in each hand, EVERYWHERE. if I need any more, Iv'e got the DI. Like the Ampeg SVT410Hlf, there is an abundance of very low bass meant to be used tastefully. It shadows the mids, so I turn it down. Consider a pair.

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Whoa, echo.....

If you like the cab and want to keep it, is it possible for you to leave it in your car overnight? Generally after a gig I find that I am simply too tired to focus on moving gear properly i.e. paying attention to my form so that I don't hurt my back. If you leave a cab out in the car overnight, even in cold weather, it won't be horrendous so long as you let it warm up to room temp before wailing away on it.

If that's not an option, start doing situps to build up support for your back.

...or sell the cab and get 2 Aguilar 112's...echo...echo...

14. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    No, you are right, I am tired, trying to just get everything in am not paying much attention to form.

I never tried to 12s. I will have to find an Aguilar dealer to try them out. I would leave the cab in the car overnight, but I would then have to remove it before I went to work becuase it doesn't fit in my trunk!! Also, my car is hard to drive cause I have to move my seatup. :D

15. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Get 2 210's. Worked for me.

16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    2 suggestions...They make handtrucks that have stair rails that work great for going up and down stairs, or I leave all my gig cabinets in the garage and it has never been a problem, I just cover them with an old sleeping bag for insulation.

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've gone a step further than everyone else. I have 3 rigs:
    • A gig rig left in the garage
    • A practice rig that I haul to band practices
    • A home rig that I play through at home

Actually this isn't completely true, I use one head for both the practice rig and for the home rig. It is a small preamp and power amp in a plastice 2-space rack. For speaker cabinets, I have a small 1x10 upstairs in my house. I have an Aguilar GS112 that I haul to band practice. For gigs, I have been using a 2x10 and a 1x15, but I'm actually going to try using the 2x10 with the Aguilar 1x12 for my next gig and see how it does.

18. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    How do you like the 2x10, 1x15 rig for gigs?

How is a 1x12 for rehearsal? I have a 1x12 SWR Workingmans Combo with 100 Watt head and it was no where near loud enough for rehearsal..

19. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i believe the aguilar 1x12 is rated at 300watts if im not mistaken. that could have something to do with it.

20. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I'm using 2 Bergantino 12's with an Eden WT-550. This rig is quite portable, a breeze to move. It also sounds very, very good and plays loud. Aguilar, Epifani, and EBS also make fine small 12" cabinets. :)