Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 6, 2001.

1. I'm looking for a computer program that I can just plug a bass or guitar into and record as an mp3. I don't know what to get. I would prefer it to be under $100 sale price, and something that you can program drums into. There are so many choices, what would you recommend??

Thanks;)

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You *could* just plug a guitar or bass into your soundcard, but you probably won't get a decent recording without some kind of preamp or an amp simulator, at least for the guitar. After you get your feet wet, you should look into something like a SansAmp, POD, J-Station, or at least an effects box with a cabinet simulator. You might be able to get away with recording the bass direct though, even for the long term.

I've been using n-Track for close to a year now and for the price it's a great bang-for-the-buck value. The basic package is $39. Then there's a 5-band parametric EQ plugin for $18 and a compressor for $20 (there's a built-in compressor but this one offers more capability). It will also work with any other DirectX plugin and I think it can also use VST plugins (not 100% sure).

It records WAV files (and I'd guess most other programs do too), but you can mix down your tracks to a single WAV and then convert that to an MP3 with the built-in converter. I've seen people suggest getting a different converter, but at least this one comes bundled with the program. It also has a built-in MIDI sequencer and piano-roll editor, but i haven't really used them yet. Can't tell you how well it works, but if your sound card has a MIDI synth it's a cheap way to get the drums.

You can download a demo version from their website - http://www.fasoft.com. You can also get a more unbiased opinion on the n-Track User Forum at Homerecording.com - http://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

3. I just bought Cakewalk music creator for about $50 because my band is trying to record and we can't afford to record any other way. It works quite nicely and I would recommend it, the only problem I have is that you can only record one instrument at a time(because the sound card of course has only one input) so we have to mic the drums and plug the three mics into a mixer before going to the computer or plug the guitar or bass from the amp to the computer. Which brings me to my question- can I get anything to make it possible to plug in multiple instruments and record them to different tracks, maybe something that would plug into the usb port or something?