1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do YOU run on your 5-Inline headstock basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fine Cut, Mar 24, 2013.

1. After getting to know my fairly new-to-me MIM Jazz V for a while with the old, sludgy stock Fender strings, I decided to go grab a set of fresh D'Addario XLs, only to find that the close proximity of the B tuner to the nut resulted in the end of the thicker wrap winding around the tuner and breaking my new B.

So, what are you guys using that works with your 5-Inline Fender style basses, or perhaps other basses with closer than usual tuner-to-nut distances?

2. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    I'm using DR Lo-Riders on my MIM online fiver. My favorite strings are Sunbeams but the B was a little too floppy so changed to Lo-Riders and haven't looked back. I haven't tried others so can't offer any other suggestions.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If you want to avoid that you need to measure from ball end to but and ball end to tuning post.

Unfortunately if you got regular long scale daddario there isn't much shorter than that without being to short not to clear the nut.

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I put a set of GHS Pressure Wound Flats on my new-to-me MIM Jazz V last December when I got it. I've never had any trouble with them but I had to go check to see how they fit. The fat part of the 0.128 string I have stops just shy of the "B" string tuner post so it should work for you too. I can't guarantee that all GHS strings would fit or that you would like pressure wounds. ;)

Ken

5. I have a new set of DR LoRider SS (from BSO) on my Stingray SR5HH.
    The wrap of the B string stops right at the middle of the tuner peg.
    Mine are strung through-bridge only, as the SR5 does not have through-body.

The original set of EB Slinky (factory set) had a shorter wrap on the B that fell between the tuning peg and the nut.

6. Looking back at the strings I bought, it appears the set I grabbed are listed as Super Long Scale. I wonder if the regular scale set would fit instead?

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Make the measurements that SLaPiNFuNK suggested (he meant NUT not BUT), post them, and I am sure he can help you. My guess is that the long scale strings will fit.

Ken

8. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I use daddario chromes on my Carvin LB75. I have tried XLs on it to. Medium gauge. The B tuner is pretty close to the nut, but I've never had an issue. Although, when I put on new strings, I have to bend the B string a little by hand so it wraps around the tuner properly.

9. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes, I had that exact same thing happen. I was given the 5SLs by mistake, and they ended up being much too long. The regular EXL170-5 is what I use on my Schecter Trad 5, should be pretty similar to your Fender 5 in terms of scale length (34") & tuner position (5-inline)

10. JPMo

JPMo

Dec 27, 2010
    Canton, Ga
    I have also found that the Sunbeams were too floppy. Is there really a significant difference in the Lo-Riders?

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    for my 5 inline 36" scale bass I use Newtone strings which I am very happy with and have been for a few years now.

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have had the thicker part of the string get on the post before with lots of different strings on quite a few different basses. I never had a string break because of it.