1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you say to people that tell you there is no money to be made above the 5th fret?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 5StringBlues, Dec 21, 2016.

1. I tell them, cool, play me a 1-4-5 box shuffle blues in B-flat. I look forward to your "4".

;)

EDIT: A box shuffle example. No, thats not me in the vid...................

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I say "I'm not here to make money, I'm here to express myself and have fun." That usually shuts them up.

3. Saying, "Screw you, I've been playing fretless all night" seems to work well too.........................

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That's unknown territory for me ... what beyond the "5th fret"? Spooky! Isn't that the area where Guitar players roam? ;)

5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Nothing. You can't argue with cranks.

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    They are playing the wrong gig.
    Tell them there is money beyond the 5th fret.

7. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    You could tell them top go out and start a luthier company that only had a fingerboard that ran up to the 5th fret and see how many they sold

Klondike, tshapiro, Charlzm and 5 others like this.
  8. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    We tell them.............."then make money with this!"

or this..................

web.ae_.instruments.KC_-640x478.

Or a bass Jew's harp! ?

NJHPB-19630088_small.
    Hello, I just found your amazing Jew's Harp Guild website and was very impressed with its scholarly content and talent level. I thought you'd be interested in a photo (top left) I have taken of Al Duba and Phil Hysell (me) presenting Dave Collins of WSAZ radio with an honorary harp (quite possibly the largest Jew's Harp in existence) from the National Jew's Harps Brotherhood (NJHPB). The photo was taken 1 Oct 1963 in Huntington, West Virginia USA while Al and I were students at Marshall University. Dave Collins had a radio show on which he would play a rather hot harp in the folksong heydays along with such tunes as "Mama Don't 'Low No Guitar Playin' Here" and "Tie Me Kangaroo Down". We would play along with Dave. He honored us in turn by inviting us to play along with him on the air on his radio program. Later, we were guests on the WSAZ TV show, "Saturday Night Jamboree". I have photos of that extravaganza also. Somewhere in my 'archives', I have tapes of Dave playing along and the other personalities' comments about such an unusual gathering of talent in the hills of West Virginia.
    Phil Hysell- Louisville, Kentucky USA
    NJHPB-19630089_small.
    <<<
    [Here] is another photo of Al (center/sitting), myself (left/standing) and Dave Collins (right) on the air at WSAZ. You certainly have my permission to print the photos and story.
    The NJHPB was kind of a 'college thing' for us. As I recall, we didn't have lots of members, but we were certainly nationwide. I really never knew there was much of a Jew's Harp following at that time. I had always played the harp as a kid in the hills of West Virginia. My folks exposed me to the instrument early on and apparently their folks played them before that. So, I assumed they were of Appalachian Mountain origin. I later learned, of course, they went well back further than that. It was mostly a fun thing for us and got us the attention we wanted. Our co-workers at the Cabell-Huntington Hospital, where we worked as accountants during our college years, thought us to be 'strange birds', so to speak. We made the most of it. Al and I have stayed in contact over all these years and still play our Jew's Harps on special occasions when we can get together. It's certainly an ice-breaker when you pull out a harp and play a tune. Most folks are completely enthralled to find that a recognizable tune can be coaxed from such a simple instrument. Of course, I've never seen some of the beautiful craftsmanship exhibited in some of those pictured on your site. I own four harps myself. My favorite is my small Austrian one. The three others are of English origin. I will photograph them and submit them to you.
    Phil

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    "You know what they say about opinions".

What, we aren't allowed to play in anything other than first position? I'm not much of a soloist or a wanker, but even I would have a hard time doing that.

10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I would punch them in the face with a check stub from a previous gig.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I don't think this saying calls for an answer.

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play in church. There's no money anywhere on the fretboard. I'm fine with that.

13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It's not about neck position. It's about attitude.

I wander above the 5th fret occasionally but I don't get paid for those notes. I play them out of the goodness of my heart. I'm a giver.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    The way I heard it, it was above the seventh fret...:rolleyes:

Imaginary Pony, rocu and Bunk McNulty like this.

15. I guess we have more stringent jerks around these parts.

:smug:

Marikk likes this.
  16. There's no money below it either.

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i never heard of the expression/saying until i joined TB: always seemed silly to me. :D

18. I tell them that I'll need a refill on my soda, and the check please. Thanks.....

19. I tell them to play some Paul McCartney lines without going above the 5th fret on any string and see how far they get.

20. Guess I'd have to tell em I'll play THOSE notes for free. I like variety and making songs more interesting. Only so many fills and flourishes you can play in the meat and potatoes area.