Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you suggest for under £400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goat, Feb 24, 2003.

1. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Requirements:
    -fairly light, not really bothered tho
    -thin neck, I'm sick of my current P-bass style one
    -growly, but high. Sorta Chili Peppers style funk sound
    -4 strings
    -FRET MARKERS

I was all set on getting an Yamaha RBX774 for £375 beofre I realised it had no fret markers. I don't think I'm skilled enough for no fret markers, so this rules the Rockbass out too.

Fire away people.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Fender MIM Fretless Jazz. I've also seen a Peavey that meets your requirements but never played it so I won't comment on it. Perhaps you can look into it or someone here with experience with the new Peavey's can comment.

Dan

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Unfortunately, $650 kinda puts you out there in no-mans lands as far as options go. By FAR, there are more quality basses at lower prices than in the history of the instrument, but a few hundred more would put you into the next market segment. That said, I think that there was a thread the other day where someone was asking about good basses for around $400 (close to your range). I'd do a search for that thread, and the dozens of others like them, for a good list of options. However, based on the criteria you've listed, I don't think you could go wrong with a Fender jazz (or jazz copy). Look for a used '62 Reissue, Made-in-Mexico jazz, or a used Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne. Both MTD and Peavey also offer great values in the lower segments of the price scale.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    As you are in England, I would say your best bet is Ibanez - they are generally regarded as quite good basses for the money. Your 400 quids would get you Ibanez ATK-400, SRX-500 or BTB-300.

Also Rockbass Corvette should be in that price range, atleast for the passive version, they have been getting good ratings lately. You might also be able to find 'real' Warwick Corvette for that kind of price as used, but they have thick necks.

MTD Kingstons would be good, but they run around £500 in Europe for they are double imported, first from Korea to US and then to Europe I believe.

Do notice that most basses, while not always having large dots on the fingerboard, have similar small position markers on the top of the neck - when standing up, you don't even see the markings on the fingerboard so the side dots are the only ones you really need.

Also, be sure to check webstores before buying, my Ibanez prices are from one of the largest in Europe which is www.thomann.de from where I and many other guys I know have been buying for years, for they have good service, usually lowest prices in Europe(not always though!) that have already been "bid down" and low shipping costs, £10 per shipment or so.

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hmmm....

I was all ready to suggest something there and then you threw in the no fret markers thing...

Anyway! (you can play without fret markers... just get used to looking at the edge markers instead - worked for me!)

Either a Warwick Rockbass or an MTD Kingston (or Kingston Heir)... don't flay me for suggesting something you've already ruled out... give it a go man!

The Bass Centre in London is doing really good deals on the MTD stuff, and I really liked them when I played them, especially the 5 string.

The Rockbass stuff is excellent but not as pretty as the MTD.

Both are pretty lightweight.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I played an MTD Heir at the bass centre and it held up against some really expensive basses.

MY two pence on buying basses is to get something that you like playing and if it dont sound quite right you can change pickups and circuitry later. The cheap MTD stuff is very good and you can add Barts, whatever later (and spread the cost over some pay packets).

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it's a mistake to set artificial price limits - better to wait and try as many basses as you can, as if you get a bass that isn't quite right and have to sell on, you are undoubtedly going to lose money !! :(

Decide what bass you want from those available - it make no sense to rule out a bass that is say £25 above an arbitrary limit!

Get a train to London and try as many basses as you can!! :)

8. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Thanks for the replies guys, it helped a lot.

Thing is I do practice a lot sitting down where I look at the marks on the frets - which is just plain bad habit :) I could grow out of it tho.

I'm going to London over the 8th and 9th of March to see the Chili Peppers :D So I might get to look at this place then.

Where abouts is it in London?

Cheers

9. Bruce Lindfield

There are quite a few shops for basses in London - hopefully by 8th March the Bass Centre will be open - this usually has the biggest range/selection - and is based in Brune Street near Liverpool Street Station.

Or you could try Denmark Street - 3 or 4 shops in one road - which is near Tottenham Court Road Tube station - might be better for cheaper basses?

10. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Also try The Gallery in Camden. It's on Royal College st., a short walk from either of the Camden tube stations... but phone first because their opening hours are a bit weird!

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well... if you;re looking at basses around £400 - don't try the Gallery!!

They usually have a smaller selection of high-end basses - £2000, £4,000 and up !! They are also pretty hard to find if you are not used to London - I've worked in London for 10-15 years and I struggled to find the Gallery!! :eek:

12. Bruce Lindfield

I'd want to play it first - what's wrong with it that they want to sell it! :meh:

13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The guy says he's upgrading to a Six.
    He's also willing to deliver it, so I'd think there can't be that much wrong..

14. Bruce Lindfield

I wasn't talking about this one in particular - but as a general principle - I think "goat" is far better off going to shops in London or wherever and trying as many basses as possible - rather than just choosing an arbitrary limit and seeing what is available within it !!

15. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    True,
    Another suggestion, the Warwick "Rockbass" active is around £400.

16. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't think the pickups on the heir are a size that you can find a drop in replavement. The existing pickups sound great, but I didn't like the fact that the neck pickup was a single coil. They are testing a humbucker for the neck, if it becomes standard, the heir will rock indeed.

17. I read an article in BP recently that reviewed the Peavey Grind NTB. It was given a rave review, they gave it best buy for that month or something. It retails at about $499 I think, so you should get it for around 400 quid. Other than that, you cant go wrong with a Fender Jazz, which has a slimer neck to your P bass

18. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    I tried out a Yamaha BB604 (active) as well as a couple of the lower end RBX series, and a Rockbass standard today.

I've now got my heart set on ordering this tomorrow.

It played great, nice funky light sound perfect for my kinda music, slap sounded great with a bit of adjustment to the active EQ. And this is through a Marshall 60 watt combo! I have a 150 watt 15" Trace Elliot at home.

Frets are smaller than my current bass which is good for my fairly small hands, body was small and light, and it came in a lovely Natural Satin colour. I should be ordering this off the net tomorrow! :D Can't wait. It will cost my £280 including delivery, which is good as I don't quite have £400 yet. Extra money will go towards a new comfy strap and stand.

THANKS A LOT for all the input guys.

19. I'm the only one in my family who hasn't had their Yankee @ss in London...:(