Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Feb 7, 2005.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi all,

I have a Bass POD and I'm using it, to practice at home, with headphones in the "Tube Preamp" mode (meaning that minimum colour is added to the bass sound). I really like this sound, as I have a MM Fender with EMG electronics and just want the bass sound to shine by itself.

However, sometimes I would like to play, mainlly at low volumes, without headphones and be able to "feel the sound".

As I already spent some money on the Bass Pod and even like the sound of it (in that particular "preset") my question is:

To what can I connect my Bass Pod so that I can amplify its sound I do not add (more) colour to the sound? What can I put between my Pod and, problably, a small cabinet (if needed)??? As I said I don't need lots of power so I'm excluding a power amp as I think they are all to powerfull (and expensive) for my needs!!!!!!! Is this correct???

Thank you all in advance for your time and patience!!!

Best Regards.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    without some kind of power amp -either a seperate on or one within an integrated head, you won't be able to power a speaker. that's kinda what power amps do.

3. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    First of all, thanks for your response!

My problem with a poweramp is that I think that the ones out there have much more power than I'll ever need and cost much more that I intend to spend. Am I correct or this is one big lie and my preconception??
    Is there a cheap and not so powerfull PA??

Thanks once again?

4. Just a thought, but what about plugging your Bass POD into a home stereo system?

I play out of my BOSS ME-50B into my 1980s home stereo which has 2 speaker cabinets with 6.5 inch woofers in them. It isn't super loud by any means,...... but I can play while I watch TV and I can be loud enough to play with an acoustic guitar easily.

I use a 1/4 inch stereo to left and right RCA cable,... 1/4inch stereo from the ME-50B headphone jack into the Left and Right RCA jacks into the CD/AUX input on the back of the home stereo receiver.

Also, some of the computer speakers will also work,... just plug them into your PODs headphone jack.

And oviously the bigger the amp and speakers the louder you'll get (don't try to play with an acoustic guitar player using 2.5 watt/2inch computer speakers if you know what I mean).

5. A second and more expensive thought would be to buy a SWR Workingmans 10 combo amp (or similar small combo amp) and plug into the FX return with the blend control all the way to "wet" or full FX.

Basically :) you will be bypassing the preamp in the SWR and just using the power amp and speaker.

6. How about a studio monitor? Depends on how much you want to spend I spose.

Josh D

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Before you jump into anything you should check the megathread on combo amps. :eek:

8. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi there!!!

I already tried plugin it to a home stereo system, but for any reason my Hifi system seems to muff the sound of the bass!!! Not good at all!!

A combo amp is a good idea - but I would like something cheaper!! (probably there isn't.................).

Thank you all!!