1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you take for backup?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by deekay911, Jan 15, 2008.

1. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Just started playing out again after quite a few years off - things have moved on a lot especially in terms of technology. I would be interested to hear what you guys take as backup items for a typical gig.
    I would take screwdrivers, 9V batteries, set of strings. What else do you consider essential and feasible?

2. Yup, all of those. Plus, a gigantic, orange extension cord, emergency snacks (usually a Powerbar), 2 Gatorades, spare instrument cable, spare speaker cable, spare equipment cables, battery-powered tuner (in case my rack tuner fizzles), spare guitar (takes too long to change strings), fuses (if your amp has them), extra guitar strap, clean shirt (I hate going home in a sweaty, used shirt), comb/brush.

3. 6-in-1 screwdriver/nut driver, Leatherman tool (knife and wire cutters are important for stripping wire), hemostats, 4 9V batteries, 6 AA batteries (wireless), mini-mag flashlight, extra instrument cable, soldering iron and solder, antacids, and I used to pack condoms (I am a married man now).

4. MojoBenny

MojoBenny

Dec 14, 2007
    i only haul 2 basses to gigs. my backup is a spector ns/2000. i have 1 power strip, 1 extension cord, extra strings, tons of water, eats, batteries, towel

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have a gym bag full of cables, extra strings, batteries (Even though my basses are passive. Not sure why they're in there.) 2 big orange extension cords. 1 small orange extension cord, power strip, wire cutters, string winder, assorted screw drivers, a small folding knife, picks (picks??), duct tape, spare microphones, tuner, flashlight............

That's about it off the top of my head.

6. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    Phillips and flat head screwdrivers, allen wrenches, soldering iron w/solder, extra strings, one of those things that you can clip onto a screwdriver to wind your strings faster, duct tape, sloblow fuses.

7. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    I like to have a set of jewlers screwdrivers, set of allen wrenches, super glue, electrical tape, two extra 1/4" cables, and extra speaker cable, 9v batteries, i usually have my soldering iron in my trunk, twenty foot extension cord, 6' extension cord, two towels (i am a sweaty bastard) extra set of older saved strings (incase of emergency), string cutters, sand paper, fast fret, power strip, hat, trash bags incase of rain, flashlight, and a change of clothes (at least a clean shirt) for the ride back.

8. usually i'll have with me my Jazz bass, my beater P bass, strings if i remember them, alan wrenches, a tuner, 2 cables, electrical tape, a power strip for the 2 combos i chain together for larger gigs...oh yea, a huge smith n wesson flashlight for crowd control...i've broken a maglight with it :smug:

9. Apart from my backup bass we have plastic crate stacked with emergency goodies for the band. Spare strings, drumsticks, electrical extension cord, various cables, batteries, a spare DI, screwdrivers, pliers,duct tape and the drummers emergency stash of candy bars.

10. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

Jun 25, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Cork screw for the wine....and some jerky.

11. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    A lot of the same stuff. I also pack Alleve, Immodium (I don't want to be at the mercy of a bar bathroom!) and something I just started bringing- Boil-Ease. I got a splinter right before a three hour gig. I put some of that stuff on, and it did a good job of numbing my finger tip!

12. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    A .45 in a shoulder holster. . .;)

13. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    On a gig:

My Spector NS20004, my Rickenbacker 4001. One or the other tuned to dropped-d. A bag of strings, usually used. I broke my D string one time with no backup bass and no extra strings, and the next song on the list was YYZ. Never happen again.

Then I have a gym bag with extra cables, extra microphones, screwdrivers, duct tape, wires of any and all description, straps, and various other things.

Plus all my pedals, DI box, and other toys. I ran sound for a long time for my martial arts school and this was my tricks bag which always came in handy. I added some small screwdrivers to it after the bananna plug for our rented PA head came unwired and we ended up fixing it with a knife, I think.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    a flask of bushmills

15. A bottle of green Gatorade

A Yamaha RBX 375, 20 foot Monster Cable, Strap, cheap Korg Tuner, hand full of picks, sweat cloth. (Primary)

A Fender TF Fretless, 20 foot Monster Cable, Strap. (Backup, but primary on 3 songs)

Rack with a QSC amp, SansAmp RBI, Power Conditioner, patch cables. (Primary)

Peavey Tour 700 head, patch cables (backup)

Peavey 115BX BW and 410TX

2 Hercules guitar stands, a Hercules Mic stand, a Peavey Microphone (I only sing backup) and 2 25 foot monster mic cables

A list of the songs we are doing, a list of all the songs we know, with the note that each song starts on annotated.

3 racketball balls to throw at the gui**** player when he gets off the reservation.

16. i normally carry a screwdriver, allen keys, a spare lead, in addition to the extra long lead that connects my wireless reciever to my head in my rack, batteries for wireless, tape, marker pen and paper (unless ive run out of paper and lost the marker and not replaced them) i often have spare strings in my bass case.

so far ive not required much of it. the marker and paper have proved most useful. and ive lent out my spare lead a few times. ive been lucky.

ive only had problems with my bass once during a gig where i would have liked to have a backup... but it wasnt anything major and it was fixed before the gig the next day.

17. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I have a backup 9V battery, a screwdriver, a set of allen keys, and an extra set of 5 string strings (D'Addario nickels, 45-130). Oh, and a Sharpie. :D

18. gjsven

gjsven

Oct 6, 2007
    Canberra, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Cutting Edge Guitars
    The below is just 'spare' stuff which I take to gigs in addition to my core setup.

I have a small toolbox containing:
    - 3 or 4 patch leads (1-2 ft)
    - Power patch lead (eg from amp to power conditioner)
    - At least 4xAA and 2x9V batteries for wireless and IEMs
    - Jewellers screwdriver set (also has pliers and other bits and pieces)
    - SPL meter
    - Zip ties in various sizes
    - A big roll of gaff
    - 3 or 4 small rolls of electrical tape (different colours)
    - Small shifting spanner
    - Cheap pocket knife/multi tool
    - Allen keys (hex wrenches)
    - Retractable tape measure
    - Cable/string cutters
    - Cable sheath remover
    - Spare set of used strings

In addition, I also take:
    - 2x extension cords (1 for amp, 1 for my FCB1010 and Digitech Vocal 300)
    - Several double adaptors to work around the usual venue powerpoint shortages
    - At least 1 spare bass (either my MM SUB 5 string or my Mex P 4 string)
    - Each bass case has a guitar lead in it
    - Spare MIDI lead
    - Rag for wiping down basses after use
    - Korg chromatic tuner (for tuning before I get on stage, where I have a rack tuner)

19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    By the way, this is a great discussion thread that I wish more people were in on. I cannot explain the times I have been out on the road and broke a cable, blew a fuse or forgot a stand at the last venue.
    A little tool box filled with many different things... Mine also has a couple of dollars in change in it. Also, I carry Tums, Asprin and super glue. All have come in handy at one time or another.

20. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I always wear a Leatherman Supertool on my belt. Everyone in the band uses it for all kinds of stuff. Couldn't go without it for a day. Other than that, I take a spare bass, a case full of my cords & spares & effects. A large Furman 3 plug extension cord & some killer ganja.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021