What do you take to a practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Alright all you guys who have thousands of pounds of gear, I was just wondering. When you arent paying Roadies to haul around your stuff, what do you take to a band practice. Myself, I want to get an 8x10 but my problem is that means lugging it to practice. And for the wise guy who is going to inevitabely say "Just buy an extra 2x10 for practice" I am 17 and a poor high school student living on his parents. So BACK OFF. Anyway just wondering if you take just like a 2x10 and maybe a preamp and poweramp?
  2. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I have crap stuff so its just my bass and the lord of all amps...

the Peavy Microbass. :rolleyes:
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I have a 4x10( the god of all cabinit config's,,,imo) just protable enough. and just big enough. and my 350 watt head. just enough power.

Wow. seems i have a "Just enough" for everytihng.
  4. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Hartke Kickback 15. I love this thing. It's plenty loud, good tone and portable...
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I take my tuner, my Amp and Cab (Eden, who hoo!) my bass, and my pedals. Other than that, a set of strings (you never know when one might break).
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't have thousands of pounds of gear.

To a rehearsal, I take my Eden Metro combo(s'up, Brendan?:D) one bass, my amp stand and my bag with all of my stuff in it.
  7. - My bass + cords
    - Overdrive + multi-fx pedals
    - Some snacks
    - some drinks
    - Clean towel

The rest of my gear is permanently set-up in my studio :)
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I use a small combo or a head and 4x10, I am thinking of buying a 2x10 though... :)
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Instead of buying a 8x10 why don't you buy a 4x10... then later when you can afford it get another 4x10 and stack them... should give you nearly the same effect, but also the ability to take just half when it's all you need.

I have a Carvin RC210 which is great by itself, or I can tack on my ext 1x18 for some boom if I need it. It's pretty portable!
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I also highly recommend the two cab model. You have the option of toting just one and it is so much easier to load. For years, I left one cab in the rehearsal hall and the other at my house so I could practice at home at rehearse and never have to lug at all except when we played out.

The performance gains of an 8 10 are not worth the limitations of it, IMHO.

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Bass and money to pay for the studio.
  12. Hmm. Absolutely nothing. Practice is at my house.

But we are looking into a seperate location, and if that happens I'll just take my 1x15 cab and hartke 3500 over there and leave it. Then just take my Toby pro5 and some cords/strings/pedals to practice. But the seperate location thing is probably a bit of a ways off. It would help with domestic relations w/ the girlfriend though:) Practice room is in the basement, and it still carries through the house.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I leave my spare amp etc.....at my drummers house where we practice,so I only need to bring my Bass and a six pack.
  14. I leave my stack where we rehearse (vocalists house) and at home I have a decent sized combo for practice and pickup jams. So I grab a bass and packup my SKB pedal board on the way out the door to reheasal. I remember when I was younger packing up my whole rig (2x15 cab and head) for every rehearsal and that gets old fast. When you are financially able, invest in a small combo for home and leave your rig in your (hopefully) secure rehearsal space.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I seldom have to bring an amp because anywhere I practice usually has an amp there.

I should mention I own my own house so my basment has a junker drum kit, junker guitar amps, junker PA and a lot of people I play with have a similar setup in their home.

Should be pretty obvious how convenient that is :)

Besides my bass, I like to pack a small Walkman recorder for taping practices (amazing how fast you forget stuff on the drive home :eek: ) and I always keep a pen in my gig bag plus some scrap paper in case I need to take notes.
  16. I have a 2x10 and 4x10 cabinet. I bring only the 2x10 to practice and I normally bring just the 4x10 to any gigs. I'll bring the whole setup only if it's a larger venue. Initially I was bringing the whole setup to every gig but a sound person said she wasn't able to dial in a good mix because my amp was so dominating at a smaller venue we played. I try to look at the size of any venue and the amount of people expected to be there. I think the amount of bodies in a room has as big an effect on my sound and projection as the size of the room.
  17. I have thought of this, but the thing is it does go back to cost. A 4x10 costs around 900 while an 8x10 only costs 1400, so thats saving 200 bucks and to me thats awesome:D
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just as you are considering, I take a smaller amp to the down and dirty rehearsals mainly because the guitarist doesn't bring his big dog and the horn players don't have to always stay for the whole time.

For most rehearsals, just a Carvin Cyclops (really not heavy with the 33 lb. amp head taken out of its cabinet space), a 5 string, a bag full of cords/towel/battery/cables/strings/misc., and the SansAmp BD goes everywhere.

It's nice when we can rehearse with the "business" gear, though, by getting it to wherever the gig is a day or two early and just leave it there.

A high efficiency 2x10 for rehearsals with a 15" to add for the gigs sounds like it might work for you, as long as you have some decent wattage, (300W or more) to power it.
  19. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I agree with Gabu. I don't think it is very practical to get an 8x10 in your situation. Most of the time, you will only need something half that size (or less). I used to have an 8x10 years ago, and I felt pretty stupid carrying it to a coffeehouse gig or a party. As you know, P, I have a 100-watt 1x10, which is fine for small gigs and quiet practices, and I have a big amp and 2 separate cabs. It's cool, because I have a lot of options, depending on the size of the venue and type of music. But then again, I'll be 40 in a month, so I get a hernia at the mere thought of schlepping an 8x10!

"I'm a poor student living on my parents." C'mon, PLehmer, don't fool yourself. Your house is so big, it has its own zipcode! I don't think you are hurting too much, do you??

Sorry, P, I'm just yanking your chain (gold-plated though it may be!). You know I love ya!
  20. Well I Just started playing with a new band for about 2 weeks now and luckily my gear problem changed...
    With the old band I had to bring everything because we only practiced 2 a week and my commute to practice was 1 hr 45 min...
    So I brought:
    3) 2 x stands
    5)Bass POD
    6)Mesa Boogie combo 15
    8)snack for ride home

Now the band I play with practices 7 min from my house and we practice 3 or 4 times a week.I also lucked out because the drummer has a 15" crate amp from when he played bass, so I only bring:

1) 1 bass either or.
    2) Bass POD
    3) cords

Life is getting very good. My Mesa combo was too heavy to lug around when I not getting paid to do so. And also I can bring just one bass, if it breaks a string or something we can take a 15 min break while I go get another bass...:D