1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what do you think a geddy lee body is worth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fr0me0, May 8, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I just bought a geddy lee but I really only bought it for the neck. its comes with the regular pickups as well as a set of custom shop 60's pickups that are currently installed. It also has an extra black pickguard. I realize some of the major appeal to this bass is the neck, how much do you think taking the neck away would take away from the value of the bass?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Geddy Lee's body?

Well...he's more famous for his singing. So you struck gold with getting the neck.

His body...well he's pretty fit for a 50 year old man. I'd say...50,000?

-Mark

;)

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    hey mark should I sell the hands individually or do you think selling whats let over all together would get me my biggest bang for my buck? :p is it worth parting it out I'm a little sqeemish when it comes to blood

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    haha

I'd say the Geddy body with worth a good 300-400 bucks Canadian? Maybe?

I've gotta say, the neck MAKES the Geddy bass what it is.

-Mark

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    Yeah I am pretty aware of that :( maybe i'll just scrap my P bass project and keep the geddy depending on if I fall in in love with it

6. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    +1,000,000! This is so true. When you take away that fantastic neck all you got left over is a regular black jazz body, nothing so special about that, ya know? What made me fall in love with the Geddy was those blocks & binding. I bought one before having ever played one so if it wasnt for that, I probably wouldn't have one right now.

7. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    You also have the high quality Japanese workmanship :).

8. I'll give you five bucks for it, American, so that's like $1,000 Canadian, right? :help:

9. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I dunno if now's the time to be making canadian dollar jokes :p :bag:

10. When is it not? Hmmm, I don't know, I don't think you've got much besides a standard J body without that sweet neck.

11. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    MAN !...do you have ANY idea what our dollar curently sits at?
    Do your research,and DON'T insult my country !!!!:mad:

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Wow, I haven't checked on it recently... We are almost even up!

BTW, I love canada. I need to visit there again.

13. Hahaha, chill man, my dad's Canadian and half my family still lives there, chill. I'm actually thinking about claiming dual-citizenship since he's still a Canadian citizen, I just don't know what I have to do.

14. SMPTE

SMPTE

May 5, 2006
    Minnesota

I think instead of the history test down here they make you take a hockey history test. Oh and you have to wear a mad bomber hat for six months while they process the paperwork.

15. :hyper: I like hats.

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Our citizenship test is dead easy.....

National symbol? .... hockey stick
    National beverage? ...beer

Getting back to your original question I have to say I am really impressed with the workmanship on the GL for the money. Like others have said, the neck is a thing a beauty eh?

17. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Sorry dude...I'm just getting tired of people downing us , even though we are such a cool country...I think the geddy body is made of alder...take away the pickups,and badass bridge, and booooooo!!!definately not a 75, EH? but 600 bucks compared to what a 75 goes for these days....