Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think a used Stambaugh is worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I may have a chance to pick this up...

Stambaugh Single-Cut, Lined Fretless, 5-string, Ebony board, Barts, 3-band, nice Burled Maple, about 2 years old. There isn't really a market for Stambaugh, but everything I hear is top-notch... anyone?

TIA.

2. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Chris' prices aren't really high to begin with, so probably a little less than other customs, but I can tell you that my Stambaugh is awesome. It feels and sounds great, and I could probably sell it to someone who didn't know better for a great deal more than I paid (not that I would).

That said, you might want to call Chris, and have him quote the same instrument, to get an idea of the "new" price, then work with the seller to find a fair price...

I will tell you that no matter how custom you get, the price doesn't move up much from the standard "base" prices on his website. Mine is very custom (piezos, extra $ for Wenge, fancy top wood, large custom inlay, etc...) and I payed about $500 over the base price.

OR, just send Chris some new business, and get exactly what YOU want...

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have to agree with funkmuffin on this. I had a chance to purchase one used about a year ago, and after talking with Chris, I found out that it would be almost as good of a deal to have one built new. He definitley works with you on the price. I'm not too sure why his basses haven't taken off like Benaventes and Nordstrands have. They seem to be very high quality basses. Anyway, me recommedation is to buy new unless you get a deal that you just can't pass on.

4. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Is $1200 good enough of a deal?

5. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Is it a neck-through? A 4 string single-cut neckthrough fretless lists at $1400. The top you mentioned wouldn't add much to the price, and the Barts are Chris' standard pups.

Add $200 for the 5th string, and you're topping out at around $16-1700.

Is a two year old "somebody-else's" custom worth just $500-600
    less than what you can get a new one for, custom built for YOU, by an excellent builder? You'd also get to pick out exactly what you want, which is pretty dang cool, IMHO...

I know there's a 6-8 month wait, but believe me, its worth every minute.

One more thing, then I'll shut up about it -- Chris has been building for several years, and like any other artisan, his skills have grown over time. I'd personally take the guaranteed-to-be-better new one over the two-year old, already great instrument.

EDIT: I forgot about the 3-band, add ~$50-100 for that.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That sounds like a good deal to me...what are the specs and condition?

7. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island

Yeah, I'd say for just $500-$600 more, I'd rather wait. I put an email into Chris to see what he'd quote new. If he is indeed in that area (under $2k), he'll probably get an order. Thanks.

8. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Body looks good, the fretboard is scratched from roundwounds, but not gouged. It's actually the burled maple bass on this page (on the left)...

http://www.stambaughdesigns.com/ambrose.html

9. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio

That one's a bit past standard. What I liked about it is the fact that you've got like 6 inches of lateral space for your thumb.

Nice piece of wood, and I like the fixed bridge, but....

I'd still call Chris for a quote, though. Just my opinion...

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    BassAlone.com has had this Stambaugh 6 for sale for a few years. They're asking $2350 for it (!?!?!) which I'm sure is more than it would cost to get Chris to re-build one just like it for you and maybe get a few things done more to your liking (I'd prefer a traditional headstock myself, chop off two, or maybe just one string, and leave the rest the same).

[​IMG]

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    First Chris's basses are great.
    Well worth the money.
    A new single cut 5-string would be in the $1600.00-$1700.00.
    range.
    A two years old bass would got around $1100.00-$1300.00. used.
    MY fretless 4-string Stambaugh is my fav. fretless.
    If you don't buy it let me know I will.