Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think about Gibson basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Nov 19, 2004.

1. i own a Fender, but I like Gibsons guitars, so im wondering if anyone plays them and what u think about them

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've never owned one but did some research on them awhile back. I found they were much more hated than loved. I think they're all short scale with neck humbuckers. "Mud-machine" I think was the most prevalent comment if I remember correctly.

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have a 1985 Gibson Explorer.I string it up with DR Highbeams
    and it sounds great.Deep rich tones great for Blues or Rock.
    No mud.I run both pickups wide open, and just adjust the tone.I am not a huge fan of 32" scale Basses,but I recieved
    this Bass as a gift,so I made the best of it.I figured I would
    trade it in someday down the road,but I started playing it
    on gigs back in the mid to late 80's and into the early 90's
    so It has alot of history.Now I would never get rid of it.

4. Both the current Les Paul bass and the Thunderbird are 34" scale, and far from mud machines. Moreso a robust tone, as they traditionally use "darker" tonewoods...so typically tonally darker than a P bass as a result. They also use Humbuckers vs. Singlecoils or split coils, so again, a deeper, fuller tone. So much for generalizations...I sure do hate them...

The older hollowbodyEB series was 30" scale. As was the SG looking EB-O solidbody.

Beyond that, go try one already. I'm sure there is no shortage of Gibson offerings are far off the map as New Jersey....How else will you truly know?????????? :bassist:

5. heres the Gibson bass im a little interested in.....any thoughts??[​IMG]

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My opinion is more superficial than anything, but I'm NOT a fan of the LP body style on a bass. T-Birds, Explorers & V's are fine as a bass, tho some will get on my case about that.

The only Gibson bass you see any frequency, is a T-Bird.

7. i dunno for some reason i like the Les Paul body on a bass. right now i have a Fender Jazz, would this be a good addition or should i look elsewhere

8. Yes I do. They are a nicely made, full sounding sculpted bodied bass. Because of the lack of upper horn, they hang a little forward on the body, making 1st position a bit harder to reach while strapped. Because of the entire instrument being Mahogany, a darker tone. All in all standard Gibson quality...which to some will say good, and some will say bad.

I happen to like the look, and a bass I just sold (Italia) echoed the look. I cannot afford a LEs Paul bass, but if I could I might consider it... But realistically, that tone-base is covered...

9. For me, Rippers and Grabers = awesome.

Everything = not so l33t.

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I like them! I have a 1972 Les Paul Signature that is the best sounding bass I've ever heard! I'll never part with it. I also have a 1967 EB-2C that gets down, seriously down, with that famous "dark cloud" tone when you activate that unique Baritone button. Another keeper, for sure. EB's came with primarily 30" scale but some "L" versions (EB-3L) had 34" scales. Lots of people love those EB's, as do I. T-birds are popular with those metal guys. I expect that I'll have a current Les Paul in my stable some day. Overall, I'd say that Gibson basses are underrated and known for a deep, warm, fat tone.

11. rippers and grabbers??? help me out here?

12. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I just got a wine red Grabber the other day. Nice low action(almost too low actually, gotta do a slight truss rod adjustment, unless the new strings are higher tension. Body is uber light too, especially for being all maple.

13. Rippers and Grabbers are the thin-wide 70's multi-singlecoil basses made out of maple, iirc. The gent from Green Day used them forever, as well as Gene Simmons. They're all over EBay.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My first thought is they weigh a ton, lousy upper fret access and the balance is all wrong.

Gibson has long built their basses by slapping bass necks onto guitar bodies rather than designing the body and neck together to act as a system.

15. WOW I DID NOT KNOW THAT

16. I had a 1994 Les Paul LPB-1 with Barts and it was very punchy and boomy, great bass. I recorded our first CD with it over my Jazz.

I've owned 2 Rippers, a 1974 and my current 1980. I'll never part with it. It has the most versatile tone of any of my basses. The twin humbuckers are warm and boomy and cut through the wall of sound put out by my guitarists.

Plus, I can take it anywhere and not worry about it getting damaged. I'll played some sleazy biker bars and have used it to fend off rowdy fans and it's always served me well. It's not as heavy as it looks because of the very thin body.

70's era Gibsons are going pretty high on eBay these days. I guess people are re-discovering them.

My Ripper back in 2002...
    [​IMG]

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ripper...
    [​IMG]
    full scale neck

Grabber...
    [​IMG]

18. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I must be one of the few people who think Les Paul basses look pretty damn awesome. I imagine the neck dive must be a pain in the arse, though.

19. Gibson basses are a love/hate affair, with most people hating them. I like them.

I used to have a Gibson G-3, which is essentially a 3 single coil pickup version of a Grabber. The build quality was very good, but it had a bolt on neck instead of Gibson's typical set-neck design. It sounded like a very smooth-sounding Jazz bass, but never approached the Jazz in punch or growl.

I've heard a couple of Les Paul basses in bars, and they sounded pretty good to me; something like a very dark-sounding Rickenbacker.

One bass that I regret never buying was an RD Artist. Very well made and way ahead of its time.

Give Gibson a chance. :bassist:

Mike

20. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

Nirvana's Krist Novoselic apparently agrees with your sentiment. His RD Artist basses are his most beloved and here's why...

"I am tall and most bass guitars look like ukele's on me, not so with the RD Artist, it suits my body and it's as sturdy as as a ship anchor. I can throw it against a brick wall and pick it up again, no harm done, I won't even need to retune it."