Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think about Hartke Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Sep 2, 2002.

1. I was thinking about buying a hartke cab. what do you think?

2. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I personally dont like hartke at all. The alluminum coated speaker cone gives it a really really really punchy mid range. Now i do like punchy mids, but i thought it was too much when i played on one. I personally would suggest SWR. But then again SWR is all i will ever use in my entire life unless i can affored an A.I. amp but i would still use SWR for electric. Well thats all i have to say.

3. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    You'll have to try them, if you like them they are a good buy .... I like them for some styles, but not all. I think there a bit limited on sounds you can get from them.
    (In my experience they suck with ABG's, don't know if you play one.)

btw, are you talking about the XXL or the transporter series?

4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've still got my old 240watt 410XL and let me tell you, I abused the snot out of it (feedback, extreme R&R volume, a cat,and years of this)! It still sounds good with enough juice put into it, but I did pull a driver to see how they were made and noticed that the spider was a little mis-shapened.:D It's probably like that on all four speakers. I always liked the sound of paper or composite cones better, but the thing held up and sounds pretty good still.
    FWITW, Andy Lewis at Acme said that he was impressed with the drivers but not the box design.
    I used to run it with a Boogie RR15, and a Hartke 3500 and the combo was great for my purposes at the time; loud and aggressive Rock 'N Roll Texas Style.:eek:

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I have mine (410TP) sice january ´98 without any problem, I play in a (very loud) Hard rock/metal band. Love those aluminium drivers...and they look cool too.

6. the 410 trans and 410 bxl are the most popular cabs among working bassists around here.

so if anyone tells you they're no good, either:

1) they're right, or
    2) there are a bunch of working bassists in spokane, with great tone and cabs that gig hard night after night, year after year, who are a bunch of idiots because 'hartke's suck'

i personally don't own one now, but i'd love to get one when i have the salad.

there's a bit of a peak frequency that you can pull down a few db if the "TANG" sound is too hot, i wish i could remember the freq. i think it was 2k.

if you get one, feed it power. 400 to 800 watts.

7. Not really my cup of tea. If you get one, make sure it is a XL or higher series. The transporter ones are kind of crappy. The sound a little to britle and sterile to me. Not as bassy as my Ampeg stuff. They do have a lot of mid-range punch, so if you really need to cut through some loud guitars, these might be the best ticket, but I would make sure they sound good to you before you buy.

jtbp

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The XL's sound ok, sorta middle of the road in terms of tone, and seem to be able to take a lot of abuse. My big beef is the 99db sensitivity in relationship to their weight.

9. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i have both the 4.5xl and the 2.5xl. love 'em both...