1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think about Justin Chancellor?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Meggersnewbass, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Meggersnewbass

Meggersnewbass

Jun 7, 2007
    To be honest, he's better than mikey way, and alot of other bass players, he's been playing for a while and tool's been together for like 16 years so you know he has had time to pretty much perfect his playing :bassist:

2. better than mikey way? ya think. you'll find a lot of love for mr chancellor here. i do fear for your life though that you have sort of linked these two bassists :eek:

3. Meggersnewbass

Meggersnewbass

Jun 7, 2007
    XD I like alot of different styles

4. ... hes been disscussed on this thread alot of times dude.

5. I just saw Tool last night :D! It was my first time seeing them, and I hadn't realized how tall the dude is. Reminds me of Steve Nash from wrestling :p. He seemed to use a pick most of the show as far as I could see. I didn't know he used a pick before...makes me sad cause I suck with a pick, and I love Tool...so now I have to learn to play with a pick to be like them. :|

But yeah, the concert was freaking sweet. The stage was white, with several screens behind it. They projected all kinds of crazy colors and stuff on the screens AND on the stage so they were basically swimming in color, especially during the rockin' out parts of the songs. There were also lasers flyin around, particularly during 10,000 days (during which Justin was sitting on a stool) and during Lateralus and Vicarious.
    If you haven't seen Tool live beofre, DO IT. I know I'm gonna see them next time they come to Richmond!

6. Meggersnewbass

Meggersnewbass

Jun 7, 2007
    I saw Tool on the 29th of may and they were osm! they usually do have alot of lights. dude! there were so many crack-heads there!!!

7. Not crack heads... Pot Heads. Don't get it mixed up.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's alright I guess. I'm not really wild about his playing. The fact that he uses Wal basses is cool but with that pick, it seems to suck all of the magic out of their tone. Ah well.

9. Whats a Wal bass? :confused:

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    He isn't as tall as he seems. Don't get me wrong, he IS tall. Roughly 6'1". Also a very sweet guy as well.

11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    A Wal bass is not really a bass...it's more of a way of life. :bassist:

www.walbasses.com

PS - not sure if I agree with the Mikey Way comparison either. I had to google him to find out who he was...and MCR just happens to be one of the bands I despise. IMO, I don't think there's any comparison between Justin and anyone else. I'm not saying he's the best bassist out there, but I don't know of any other bassist with such a command over their equipment or their own style as JC has.

12. You sir, need counseling.

13. wickeddoubler77

wickeddoubler77

May 29, 2007
    Chancellor is one of the best in rock. His ability to provide counterpoint, lock in with the drums, and double riffs in odd time signatures sets him apart from many rock doods who hold a bass. His tone is perfect for Tool, and his use of effects is like the way a master chef uses spices: not overpowering but very crucial to the overal 'flavor' of the stew.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I know. I know it's only a bass but I feel it criminal that it's magic (and rare) tone should be destroyed by the use of a pick! :meh:

15. Meggersnewbass

Meggersnewbass

Jun 7, 2007
    Not Roick...METAL!!!!:hyper: :bassist:

16. I agree with all of this. His playing fits their style perfectly. And his tone. Well, his tone makes me moist! :p

17. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    You could easily nail Justin's tone with a GK 2001RB and a Wal... there is a guy on Youtube who recorded a bunch of Tool songs with that setup and the tone is spot on.

18. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    He's here too - WalBassplayer

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Might be a bit tough getting a hold of one of those though...

20. WalBassPlayer? What is this "Wal"? help...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021