What do you think about my idea?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Okay, Im from a very small area in Ohio but there are more bars than you can shake a stick at. Therefore there are literally 100 bands for about 30 bars in the local area. The good bands all know the songs they HAVE to play to get gigs, no originals allowed. Lately good bands dont cut it anymore. Gimmick bands are ruling the bar scene now. Bands that dont sound so good, but involve the crowd the entire show, or are really really funny. So while really drunk one night me and a guitar player friend of mine came up with what we think may be the greatest idea since great ideas.

What would you think about a band coming out and playing for about 1 1/2 then taking a short break. Then, they come out and start up a gig/game show. Play a few songs, pull up a few people to play a quick game for a free drink or two, or other small prizes. Do that about 10 times or so throughout the rest of the night. Or maybe 2 teams and keep track of points and declare one the winner.

So what do ya think. Would you watch it? Do you think its retarded? Just remember things like this do well in our area so if it wouldnt in yours try to give me a little understanding. Also any ideas you may have are welcome as well. Thanks alot for letting me ramble on.
  2. I think it's a great idea, one that we actually did on some special occasion (Halloween, New Year's Eve, etc.).

10 times per night may be a bit too much, though. Maybe 3 to 5 times would do good, but do one every set or twice per set, maybe. That way you'll keep the crowd interested (people love winning prizes) all night long, and you should know that:

- An interested crowd = People on the dance floor;
    - People on the dance floor = People drinking;
    - People drinking = Happy bar owners;
    - Happy bar owners = More gigs for your band.

Don't make too many contests in a row, though, because people lose interest when the music stops for too long. Try to be receptive to how the crowd feels, and act accordingly.

Good luck!
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think you'd get more gigs and a better response from the crowd if you had "chicks with your bass" pose for the camera. :eek:

Seriously, it's a good idea, but anything overdone is a bore...so just monitor crowd reaction and adjust accordingly.
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    St. Mary's area huh? My band is actually talking about booking down in that area...lake club gigs. Any suggestions for clubs for a party/cover band to check into?

On topic: We get some freebies from Budweiser to give away, and we normally make people do something stupid yet entertaining for the freebies.
  5. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Maybe do a version of "name that tune". You could work out tidbits of your songs and have two audience members guess your next tune after hearing them. The winner gets a free drink.
  6. tyoder

Dec 8, 2004
    You know, I was thinking about adding some entertainment at my gig. I wrote an original called "Two Bottle Woman" where I put on halloween buck teeth, wear a baseball cap backward, and get introduced as some dude from West Virginia. The song is funny as all get out and gets a good reaction. Once I had a rubber chicken dangling from the headstock and later that night I saw the chicken get stuffed down some girls top. Soooo, I'm thinking about offering a free beer to any girl who will provide a nice "home" for my chicken. If it works, then we can try it every couple of songs. If it doesn't, oh well.
  7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

At first, I was laughing about the great ideas you and others have had. I was really enjoying this thread... And then it hit me.

How has live music died in this country? Do we have to put on more of a show than good music?

It's just not good enough to be a good band anymore. Fewer clubs are available to play in and many of those have DJs and kareoke (spelling???) on multiple nights.

I'm in a suburban area two hours north of Miami and two hours south east of Orlando. It's blues, classic rock, oldies, one country band and slash metal. And there are about 5- 10 bands that get most of the work, and they are complaining about the lack of gigs.

I'm thinking about putting a pop band together and see how it goes. We would compete directly with the DJs. I wonder what would happen.
  8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I think I may need to try some of these gimmicks/ideas if I ever get a band running up in Humboldt. For a college town, there's almost no music scene, so maybe some stage-fun'll do some good. I think most of the bands are just too afraid to play covers in front of the other musicians for an extended period of time, or they don't know what "catchy" means, but that's another rant.

I don't think I'm gonna really have to worry about this too much in the Bay Area with my main band this summer. I figure a really random cover or two'll do the trick.
  9. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    ROFL. You kill me, dude!

I wonder if my next band will allow me to continue this tradition?

well, my update. I've posted an ad on craig's list. Not even a nibble so far. Oh well. guess this will take a while.