Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think about Robert Deleo?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by liran, Jun 24, 2001.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    What is your opinion on Robert Deleo(bassist for the stone temple pilots)

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd probably get a lot of crap from my friends for saying so, but I think he's a great bassist and writer. His tone is always really good, IMO...the same tone I shoot for in my rock gigs. His lines are good and solid, yet provide some harmonic movement while maintaining a strong bottom end. He comes up with lots of those STP riffs...maybe that's why they grab me.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've always dug Robert's tones, taste, and tunes, and Stone Temple Pilots have always been one of my guilty pleasures. When they first came out people always razzed them for sounding like Pearl Jam. OK...so they have a singer with a deep voice and they play ominous sounding music with heavy riffs. IMO STP songs are way more interesting; their chord progressions and voicings are some of the most inventive that I've heard in mainstream rock, and their sounds, textures, and attitude are compelling. And they don't have the whiny save-the-world diatribes of Eddie Vedder-a big plus in my book!

4. Hey! I think he is a really good bassplayer.Always seems to do what the song needs,sometimes more modest basslines,sometimes more energetic.

I got to see STP last summer(they opened for RHCP).He is really a crowd pleaser!Playing to the audience,getting down close to the fans,lots of "contact"!Love to see a bassplayer getting in the mix like that!!Kewl Kat!

Usul

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dig STP...I Always thought that he was kind of a bread and butter player, but hey, He has good tone, and isn't to shabby. I'll go ahead and say he's ok!

6. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    HE's awesome, his lines are always moving and even though they're more subtle than guys like Flea or Les Claypool they always seem to grab my attention. He's got kind of a retro/R&B feel to his playing and he's a great songwriter. The majority of STP music is written by him.

Check out songs like "Still Remains,"Interstate Love Song,"The Big Empty,"off PURPLE
    And "trippin' on a Paper Heart,"Art School Girl," from TINY MUSIC

7. Rob is one of my fav players. I think his lines flow well and give thier songs a lot of movement. I like his tone as well. I was watching MTV2 the otherday and they had a live concert of STP at the House of Blues and his tone let him cut through and be heard. STP is a great band, has anyone got the new CD yet? I really like the new video.

8. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I couldnt agree more with all of you!

9. NeoTrotskyist

NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    allthough i DO like the "winey save-the-world diatribes of Eddie Vedder", i think STP gets a lot of undeserved flack for sounding like Pearl Jam.

10. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    True True......

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well when i was in a band a few years back and we played some covers we did a couple pearl jam songs and i was so bored i thought id fall off the stage! So we decided to learn interstate love song@! Much better! He keeps the groove going and doesnt stop which i feel is very important in rock music! There needs to be more bass players like him in rock music! Him and steffan are about the only ones i can stand to see on mtv any more! Well the guy in limp isnt to bad they just need to shoot the singer in the head!hehe

12. I think his bass lines are really good for the songs. There's a lot of stuff going on underneath the heavy riffs and it really gives the band a 3rd dimension, as opposed to being flat like some of the rock bands who don't really respect the bass too much IMO.

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    All very true.
    He can also do backflips while playing bass.

14. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You serious?

15. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah, I read an article with Robert discussing one show on a music site (Don't remember where) a while back. He was telling how really got into the music and did a backflip and didn't miss any notes through the whole thing.

16. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    HOLY SH@T I need to try that sometime.

17. Please do. :D

18. What Pearl Jam tunes did you play back the Eric?

maybe you aren't used to Jeff's simplistic approach. there are some beautiful basslines in his repertoire...

listen to Rats, Jeremy, Oceans and the intervals in Evenflow...

19. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    What Pearl Jam tunes did you play back the Eric?

maybe you aren't used to Jeff's simplistic approach. there are some beautiful basslines in his repertoire...

listen to Rats, Jeremy, Oceans and the intervals in Evenflow...

I cant remember all the songs we did of theres ! But i think one of them was called alive!

20. Yah, that's a great song. It's got a simple bassline, but it turns out beautiful with slides and all. I'm guessing you are not into this kinda music, are ya?